Re: MCA sucks

>By "new album" I was referring to what Pete and Roger have been
>talking about as new Who recordings in the studio.  I wasn't thinking
>of the BBC disc, which is a done deal.

Oh.  I don't know that anybody's mentioned a label for that one.

>But the questin is just as equally valid for the BBC disc -- who's
>idea was it to use MCA for this?  I bet its something in the band's
>contract with MCA that states they have rights to all material
>produced in a certain period.

You may be right, although it's been so long since they put out new material
that you'd wonder why they'd sign a contract that tied them up for fifteen
or twenty years.  The way the internet has opened up sales, they might do
better to record it on their own label and market it themselves.   A few
artists went that route very successfully in the '90s.

>On the other hand, if there is a contract still in force between MCA
>and The Who, it really makes me wonder -- just what the hell do The Who get
>out of this contract?

The minimum, obviously.  But then, that's likely about what everybody else
gets, too.  All the younger, newer bands complain about lack of support from
the labels.  If you're not Brittany Spears, then forget it!

keets