Re: "New" Album?

>Amen to that, brother!  I mean, the HOB shows and London shows must have
>been incredible experiences, but I wish that they would give the fans
>something OTHER than the same songs that they have been playing since the
>70's!

Joseph:

Exactly. I too applaude the idea of the more obscure songs live, BUT if put
on CD I would prefer versions done at the time of their conception. This is
for history, you know. Needs to be done right. Future Who fans will have
nothing else to go by.
For instance, ICSFM has long been a song I wanted to hear live...but no
bootleg from the period had one, either from the summer `67 tour (apparently
before they recorded SO) to the 1968 tour...it seems they just didn't do it
live! Or at least not until 1989, and by then it just wasn't the same.
Then again, I've only come across one version of Pictures Of Lily live
(Monterey Pop) but I'd take it 2000 times before I'd want a version recorded
now. Pure And Easy WAS performed during the 1971 tour, for instance.
That being said, I guess if there WAS no version from the original time then
a newer version would be better than none. That is the main guideline *I*
would use if I were making a multi-disc live set...a definitive version from
the tour of the album, and as the set progressed toward the later years only
include songs not already covered.

>If the Who are to release a new album, then I wish it would be NEW songs.

You and me both, brudder.

>Happy 2000 everybody!

Seconded...at least THIS computer works! Can't wait to see if the one at the
store will. I must confess, I'd like to own a computer store for the next
two months...

>music critic.  He said bands should play their "hits" in concert.

Scott:

After the way critics have treated The Who over the years, to Hell with him
and his advice.

> My friend, Curtis,
>who is a mild WHO fan, gets upset when he sees the set lists of The WHO's
>recent shows.  "How come they didn't play all these great songs in '96 when
>we saw them," he exclaims.  He likes QUAD, but would much rather see The
>WHO play their hits.

I can see this as a problem, especially for newer Who fans. But there are
videotapes, live CDs...not as good as a show, it's true, but if they keep
doing the same songs over and over and over then they become The Stones. And
nobody, not even The Stones, want that...

Maybe they should compile a live DVD set, chronicling them in concert and in
surround sound for maximum effect.

>Oh well, I guess "you can't always get it, when you really want it !"

Or "you can't always get what you want." For them to play from the familiar
to the obscure, it would have to be (for me at least) a ten hour concert.
But I'd be just as happy with a 5 disc live boxed set covering their career.

>hadn't looked at for a couple of years myself.  I forgot that "Dance
>It Away" appeared as the B-side to the Uniforms single from Chinese

Phil:

But is it the same song? The live one sounds a lot different. Perhaps it was
a work in progress.

>Happy YWhoK everyone!

Brian:

(groan)

And while we're at it, welcome to the new Whollennium.

           Cheers and no hangover                            ML