Innovation; Realization; Reproduction

>I read this and my first thought was: are you confusing novelty for
>innovation?

Phil:

Nope.

> In today's jaded audience its very hard to be novel, i.e.
>a completely new experience but I still think there is plenty of
>innovation going on.

I'm not talking about being novel, because I think Rock music has precious
little if any new ground left to plow. As I said, at this point
"interesting" is the most I can wish for. As for innovation, I'd be
interested in what you mean, because to me it seems that all that's going on
these days is the mixing of old styles. You can easily point to great 60's
bands, 70's, and even the 80's had U2 and REM, but what legacy is there for
the 90's? Pearl Jam had the most potential (IMHO), but they went down a
different road and having come back yet (although the live shows give me
hope).
We might want to take this discussion off list, as it's bound to be off
topic.

> [O'Neal, Kevin W.] I've always LOVED Pete's version of
>Melencholia!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
> 'cause.......sometimes the sun just doesn't shine for ME DAMNIT!!

Kevin:

Yes, I had a time in my life where Melencholia described how I felt.
Unfortunately, I hadn't heard it yet...but when I did, it took me right back
there. Pete has a wonderful way of capturing real feelings in his songs.

> My friends are going to shoot me if I don't stop talking about PETE!

Yeah, when I got the BBC set I encountered a lot of eye-rolling.

> But damn, show me someone else that is kicking this kind of powerful
>music out. There IS no one else!

As I said above...so I agree with you completely.

>   i'm sitting here pondering my last thirty years (i turn 31 today)

Jeffree:

Happy birthday. Mine is Sunday, and I consider the Lifehouse and BBC sets as
my gifts this year. So does my wife, since she gave them to me...anyway,
this has been the best Who year since 1996. And it seems the best is yet to
come. 2000 bookended by Lifehouse and a new Who album.

                    Cheers                                         ML