Req: Brian's BBC Liner Notes

Well, since it was requested, here's the adaptation to my posted liner notes
that was done by Nick Coquet of Point Entertainment:

THE WHO
LIVE AT THE BBC - VALUE ADDED PIECE SLEEVE NOTES

1. MY GENERATION JINGLE (0.31)
(Pete Townshend) TRO-Devon Music, Inc. (BMI)

2. PETE TOWNSHEND INTERVIEW (2.08)

3. PINBALL WIZARD (2.21)
(Pete Townshend) Eel Pie Publishing Ltd. (BMI)
Pete Townshend: "'Pinball Wizard' is, quite simply, quite pimply, from
Tommy. It's my favorite song on the album and was actually written as a
ploy to get Nik Cohn, who is an avid pinball player to be a little more
receptive to my plans for a Rock Opera. Nik writes on and off for the
New York Times. I know which side my Aronowitz is buttered, mate!"
Released as a single ahead of the release of Tommy. In the U.K. it was
released on March 7, 1969 reaching #4 on the charts. The U.S. issue came
out March 22, 1969 and got to # 19 in Billboard, #15 in Cash Box. It was
The Who's first single issued in stereo.

4. SEE ME FEEL ME (2.49)
(Pete Townshend) Eel Pie Publishing Ltd. (BMI)  The "Tommy" finale,
usually known as "See Me, Feel Me," was released as a single in the U.S.
to capitalize on its appearance in the hit movie Woodstock. It hit the
charts there September 23rd, 1970 and reached #12. It was released in
the U.K. on October 10th but failed to chart. "See Me, Feel Me"
constituted the last 3'22 of "We're Not Gonna Take It."

5. I DON'T EVEN KNOW MYSELF (4.53)
(Pete Townshend) Towser Tunes, Inc./Fabulous Music, Ltd./ABKCO Music,
Inc
Dating from 1970, this was considered for an EP before finally appearing
on the B-side of the 'Won't Get Fooled Again' single. Often played in
concert during 1970-1971. This track was released in the U.K. as "Don't
Know Myself"

6. LONG LIVE ROCK (4.14)
(Pete Townshend) ©1973 Towser Tunes, Inc./Fabulous Music, Ltd./ABKCO
Music, Inc., BMI
Pete Townshend: "Well there are dozens of these self conscious hymns to
the last fifteen years appearing now and here's another one. This was
featured briefly in the film for which Keith made his acting debut,
That'll Be The Day. Billy Fury sang it. This is most definitely the
definitive version. I had an idea once for a new album about the history
of The Who called ROCK IS DEAD - LONG LIVE ROCK. That idea later
blossomed into QUADROPHENIA."
Pete said further that Rock Is Dead - Long Live Rock was not only going
to be an album but also a television special. "Long Live Rock" was
released as a single from Odds & Sods only in Italy, Israel and Japan in
November 1974. A general release as a single came in 1979 when it was
pulled from The Kids Are Alright soundtrack album. In Britain, it came
out April 1, 1979 and went to #48; in the U.S. July 7, 1979 was when it
hit the charts, going to #54 in Billboard and #66 in Cash Box. The Who
began performing it live August 11, 1972 and it was revived
occasionally, most notably during the 1982 tour where it appeared on The
Who's Last album.

7. HEAVEN AND HELL (3.27)
(John Entwistle) Gowmonk, Inc. (BMI)
Although never recorded in the studio to John or The Who's ultimate
satisfaction, 'Heaven and Hell' was one of the greatest songs that John
Entwistle contributed to The Who's catalogue. A harsh warning about the
perils of mortal misbehavior, it's a full-blooded rocker, rhythmically
tougher than most of the material that Pete was writing at the time but
still finely tuned towards The Who's particular strengths. It was often
used to open Who sets during the late Sixties when Tommy got a full
airing, and it allowed Pete plenty of opportunity to stretch out on the
solo and the whole band to warm up for the lengthy set that lay ahead.
The studio version was released on July 10, 1970 as the 'B' side of the
'Summertime Blues' single. The studio version was actually recorded on
April 13, 1970 as part of a studio recording of highlights of their live
set for a BBC radio program. "Heaven and Hell" initially appeared in The
Who's live set as early as April 1968 but was dropped except for a few
instances along with the live Tommy at the end of 1970. Although it
seemed to have a prominent position in The Who's live set being first,
the song was seen by the band as a test song to discover if guitars and
microphones were working. At Leeds this occurred right at the beginning
when John did not have his amp set correctly and missed singing a verse
at the beginning of the song. For the remaster John recorded enough of a
vocal in 1994 to cover up to the point where his 1970 self could take
over.

8. I CAN'T REACH YOU (2.56)
(Pete Townshend) Towser Tunes, Inc./Fabulous Music Ltd./ABKCO Music,
Inc. (BMI)
Pete: "This is one of the first songs I wrote on the piano, despite its
simplicity (caused by my inability to play!), it makes me sit up because
again, the chords I discovered are those that still please me, and I
still use them. 'Pure and Easy' has similar chord shapes I think. It's
easy to be clever looking back, but since I've made public the fact that
Meher Baba is believed to be the 'Avatar' (Messiah) by his followers,
and that I heard of him in late '67, (soon after this song was written)
I can say without pretensions that I was looking for someone." It was
released as a single in Australia backed with 'Our Love Was.'

9. OUR LOVE WAS (2.43)
(Pete Townshend) Towser Tunes, Inc./Fabulous Music Ltd./ABKCO Music,
Inc. (BMI)
Recorded at Columbia Studios, Los Angeles, September 1967. This track
features a 'slide' guitar solo which was originally recorded as an
alternate for the BBC at IBC Studios, London October 10th, 1967. Keith's
letters home to his wife Kim show that another version was recorded at
Bradley's Barn in Nashville on August 16th, 1967.

10. THE SEEKER (2) (3.11)
(Pete Townshend) Fabulous Music, Ltd.
Pete Townshend: "I suppose I like this least of all the stuff. It
suffered from being the first thing we did after Tommy, and also from
being recorded a few too many times. We did it once at my home studio,
then at IBC where we normally worked then with Kit Lambert producing.
Then Kit had a tooth pulled, breaking his jaw, and we did it ourselves.
The results are impressive. It sounded great in the mosquito-ridden
swamp I made it up in, Florida at three in the morning drunk out of my
brain with Tom Wright and John Wolf. But that's always where the trouble
starts, in the swamp. The alligator turned into an elephant and finally
stampeded itself to death on stages around England. I don't think we
even got to play it in the States." Produced by The Who at IBC Studios,
London on January 19, 1970. Released in the U.K. on March 21, 1970 and
reaching #19 in the charts.
Released in the U.S. it hit the charts there on April 11, 1970 reaching
#44 in Billboard and #30 in Cash Box.

11. TOP GEAR JINGLE (0.46)

12. SUMMERTIME BLUES (5.22)
(Eddie Cochran/Jerry Capehart) Warner - Tamerlane Publishing Corp. (BMI)

Eddie Cochran's bouncy, rhythmic guitar style influenced Pete enormously
in The Who's early days and their version of "Summertime Blues" was a
highlight of the band's stage shows for many years. Pete's block chord
slash style, coupled with John's rumbling bass riff, was ideal for this
song of teenage angst, and Roger, weaned on American rock 'n' roll,
loved to sing it. John always supplied the basso profundo vocal line
with a wry smile.
Cochran died in 1960 and by 1968 The Who had made "Summertime Blues"
their very own (they were performing it in their regular set during most
of 1967). Other Cochran songs essayed by The Who included "C'mon
Everybody" and the lesser known "My Way."

13. BORIS THE SPIDER JINGLE (0.10) (John Entwistle) TRO-Essex Music,
Inc. (ASCAP)

        -Brian in Atlanta