Re: BBC

Repost from O&S:

>>I knew there was something I didn't like about this whole BBC
collection. IT'S NOT ALL REALLY LIVE. [snip]

>Since no one's answered your question... *many* of the tracks they
recorded for the bbc were the same backing tracks from the masters (or some
other source; safety?) with usually new vocal parts put over them. Take the
LLR and Relay videos from Old Grey Whistle Test (think that was the show),
you can see it's a new vocal, with the same studio backing tape. Obviously,
not all of them are like this (haven't listened to the new release, but
recalling from the boot). However, having not read the liner notes yet, the
reason was the engineers' union contract or some such arrangement prevented
the BBC from
playing recorded versions to preserve jobs in the BBC's studios.