Live in 1964

I have been enjoying the ghostly-sounding recordings of our heroes from 1964
(at The Scene Club).  What is striking to me is how terrible they sound.
They had much to learn about each other and their instruments.

Keith's playing is the exception, his natural talent and drive overshadowed
the others.  Roger is doing a bad Howlin' Wolf impersonation regardless of
the song.  John thumps along generally hitting the melody.  Pete seems to be
learning chords and plays straight rhythm all the way through.

You can hear the makings of their unique sound.  Drums leading the way,
guitar keeping rhythm while the bass takes the melody.  Roger's throaty
vocals sound much like Pete's later crunchy guitar sound.

Jeff
back on topic