labelling

Dr. Jimmy wrote: "The jam at the end when you hear "one two three FOUR" in
LAL MG.  Is this borderline "speed metal" or at least it's grandfather?  The
Who's explosions in jams always make me think "What exactly can you call
it-Just hard rock, early Metal perhaps?   It's not quite all the way one
way, metal, and it's very grown up hard rock, much nastier (compliment) than
anything these shirtless duds are putting out today."

Hey Doc,
I don't like simple labels for complex musical style, especially cutting
edge stuff like LAL MG.  It has to depend on *when* you do the labelling.
Look at the many styles that now make up what is called "classic rock" or
"oldies".  If you labelled it in 1970 - probably hard rock.  1975 - early
metal.  1995 - grandfather speed metal might work.  You could also call it
post modern fusion jazz (but I wouldn't).

I do like the way you describe it in your last sentence above.  To me its
just a great summation of what I love about The Who live.  Leading each
other through new (yet familiar) territory in the way that great jazz
musicians had only done previously.  Most exciting is the thought that The
Who can still do this in 2000.  The chord jam at the end of the Manchester
2000 MP3 really stands up to LAL MG section you're referring to - simply
amazing.  A combination of brilliant individual skill, comfort and
confidence in one another, balls, and volume.

Jeff