Under a raging oppressive government

>The point in doing that for Santana was that he wanted to partner with
>some contemporary popsters.  The Who have each other to collaborate with.

Jeff:

True. To my mind, Santana did what a lot of people who run out of ideas
do...they bring in some proven commercial potential and make money.

>While we're still on the subject of Santana, have you heard the
>Clapton/Santana version of 'Eyesight to the Blind' on Clapton's
>Crossroads 2?   Great stuff with a Who tie-in :-)

As long as it's not a Who tie-dye.

I never said Carlos wasn't a great guitarist. He is, definitely. But I hate
to see anyone sell out, unless it's The Who Sell Out.

>I would never in a million years argue on this point. He's one of the
>strongest and most respected acoustic players around.

Kevin:

He's the only acoustic player who can generate that much power, although
Richie Havens has come close.

>Can't argue again.  Well, maybe a bit.  One word.  Feedback.  Ok, more than
>one word.......guitar shaking, pounding, bashing, bending,
thrusting........

Pete wasn't doing much if any feedback by `75 (the first time I saw him).
Still spooked by the memory of Hendrix, I guess.

>Nothing mellow about it.  I see it as kicking some fire into this n'synch,
>goth, rock star wanna bee era we're stuck in.

Things are about to change. Under oppressive governments, rebellious music
seems to florish.

>Wow, I thought I was the only person who really, really doesn't like that
>album.

Not even. I remember when it came out, everyone was raving, it came into my
store and I excitedly put it in my CD player...and was extremely
disappointed. Just as I was with the Page/Black Crowes CD. My brow furrowed
and I thought "THIS can't be what everyone is so excited about!"
You know what I think it is, though? I think it's that we've been spoiled by
the greatest Rock band who ever walked the face of the earth, and our
standards are probably unrealistically high. Ya think?

Scott:

>has a slight edge....I don't know.  Anyone out there dig that "Brooklyn
>Kids" song?  Or "Never Ask Me?"  I do.

Absolutely. Never Ask Me touches me deeply. Brooklyn Kids, Football Fugue,
Girl In A Suitcase...such great stuff! Then on the other hand, my first love
is Zelda. You Came Back and Things Have Changed are also big favorites. What
I'd hope for is another Scoop with older material, like Do The Strip and
Kill My Appetite. Maybe That Motherland Feeling and the Rael demos. Ah, Pete
should just chronilogically release all of his demos. Yeah...

I'm about to be very busy, so let me take this opportunity to wish all on
this list a great holiday season, no matter what form you choose to
celebrate it. Even if you don't usually, what the Hell, CELEBRATE! Have some
fun. It's a new millenium. "Welcome to the future, we're glad you made it."

"The new President of The United Sates is
    what I would call a cunt "
              Pete Townsend

               Cheers                 ML