Re: Homework Assignment

> Zak is great, but he's no Keith Moon.  I don't know if it's
> fair, but when I do a comparison, I use LAL Keith.

I don't know that it's fair to judge *any* drummer against LAL Keith!
But give Zak credit for knowing the subtleties of WHO songs - when
to lay back, when to let go, etc.  He seems to understand the different
moods & feels required not only in individual songs but in the *parts*
that make up the songs.  That's something I never got from Simon Phil-
lips.

But as I've stated before, I think Zak could even 'let go' a bit more.  He's
already proved to me that he's not going to be annoying!  Go ahead, Zak,
kick it up a notch!  Get crazy!

> Don't ask me to say anything negative about Kenney.  I value my friendship
> with Scott.  ;-)   Plus, I agree with him 100%.  And, I think he'd agree
> that Kenney was no Keith Moon either.

I certainly don't mind people criticizing Kenny.  I dig opinions.  I also dig
giving mine!

> Now, Pete.........hmmmmmmmm, what can be said about Pete's playing..?????
> Well, really, he's proving that with age comes wisdom.  He's like a fine
> wine that is simply getting better with age.

I can't make the jump & say I like Pete's playing now better than the '69 &
'70 stuff I've heard, but I will say he's captured atleast some of that wild aband-
onment.  A few years ago, I would've thought that to be impossible.

He's much more 'noodly' now.  Finger rolls, 16th notes, etc.  But he still keeps
all the pure expression of his past playing.  It all flows from the moment.  There
are no 'stock' solos he *has* to play.  He won't let his audience off that easily.
This isn't Pink Floyd.  Just think, even the few-note solo in "Baba O'Riley" is
played differently practically *every* time!  When you think about it, that's amazing!
He could've come up with a force-fed, stock solo for that years ago & played
it the same time, *every* time.  But no.  His philosophy seems to be - How does
my mood at *this* moment translate through *this* solo I am about to play?  How
will I keep it's original feel & sentiment &, at the same time, uniquely freeze it upon this
frail, fleeting, yet divine moment?  Simple!  I'm Pete Townshend!  I'll do it *this*
way!  Brilliant.

> Ever wonder how this new album will be marketed?

"This new album?"  Have you heard it?!  What's the cover like?  Look at
you!  You're practically at the store already, buying the thing! :-)  OK, I
didn't believe we'd ever get a 5-piece, electric Pete WHO tour, but I'll believe
in a new album when I see it!

> BTW.  I talked about this before, the chair tossing thing.  I highly
> reccomend it.  Every person reading this should at least one time in their
> lives catch a really rowdy buzz, by what ever means you prefer, and then jam
> some Young Man Blues, or something like that.  At high volume.  Then, let
> go, and wreck the place.
> Do it!

Oh my God, what your poor wife must put up with at times!  I bet there have
been evenings, around 8 o'clock, maybe on a Saturday, when, noticing a certain
look in your eyes, she says, "Oh no, Kevin, you're not gonna throw a chair to-
night, are you?"  Then I picture you, running off into another room, laughing madly.
What those New Englanders won't get up to....

> I've been thinking about this too.  There really is no doubt, what so ever
> anymore, as to who the lead in the group is.  After Keith, it seemed as if
> Pete wasn't ready or didn't have the energy for the spot light.

You're right.  I've never thought along that line of reasoning before.  Keith's
death just added to the pressure Pete had already been feeling.  Instead of
distancing himself from The WHO, he had to become an even bigger part of
The WHO in the absence of Keith.  BUT.... *he* was the one who allowed
it to keep going.  *He* was the one who OK'd The WHO's continued work.

We all know he now thinks he should've ended the band there, but still, it makes
one wonder just why he decided to keep going.  Knee-jerk reaction?  Booze?
Money?  Roger?  Do the opposite?

Ultimately, he must've felt that this new version of  The WHO would allow him
to slip more into the background & feel less-pressured.  Ooops.

> But now, a
> bit older and wiser and more confident, he's taken the lead and looks like
> he wants to keep running with it right to the top.  Now that Pete is ready, look out.
> He's all serious.  He's guiding every move the band makes on stage.  He's
> calculating.  He's into it.

Sounds a bit harsh, but I think lately he's learned again to *use* The WHO
(atleast in a live setting) to channel his emotion.  He's realized he doesn't need
Pino Pallidino or whatever the fuck that flawless but boring bass player's name is.
He doesn't need Peter Hope Evans dancing around like a monkey.  He doesn't
need a keyboard player with a haircut from Tears For Fears.

He must now realize that everything he needs to say or express, can be funnelled
through his first & most potent 'bullhorn' that is The WHO.  Maybe it's his age.
Maybe it's because nearly 20 years have past.  Whatever the case, Pete has learn-
ed how to drive The WHO again.  And drive it creatively (again, only in a live set-
ting).  Let's hope this new found energy does indeed lead to a new studio album.

I'm pessimistic, though.  I'm waiting for the crash.  I'll probably be at some Pete
Townshend solo show, a year & a half from now watching Pino Pallidino's head
thrust like a pigeon's while playing "Let My Love Open the Door."  Oh great,
another harmonica solo which screams:  "Look at me, I'm a chimp!"

> Praise be to The Who Gods!

LONG LIVE THE FUCKING WHO!!!!!

- SCHRADE in Akron