Words never spoken

>Since I tend to be interested in the concepts first, I'm happy with it
>already.

Keets:

That's fine. The only thing I have to go by is what they did live developing
Did You Steal My Money (on the FD remix as a bonus track) and the end result
(ditto)...which I think is pretty bad. The earlier live version is on a very
similar level as the 2000 stuff, at least IMHO.

>What do you look for in the lyrics?  Are you looking for complexity?
Style?
> Just something that strikes you right?

You certainly know how to ask the tough questions. I'd have to go with the
third choice, I guess...but add to it the lyrics I really care about are the
ones which either relate to something that's happened to me personally
(Melancholia, most of QUAD, Never Ask Me, Sunrise, and so on) or lyrics that
simply impress me with their ability to describe a situation or concept or
idea, I'd have to say the manner in which they do so. I'm Free would be a
good example for that: "If I told you what it takes etc." And bits of most
of Pete's songs, and some of John's (like in It's Your Turn or Dangerous).
Lines, like "There's a million ways to laugh and every one's a path" or
"U.V. lights making starshine of her smile" or "Sparkle warm crystaline
glances to show." Even "The truth burns so hot it could melt winter snow."
It can be simple lines, too, like: "Laying on my back in newly-mown
grass/Rain is coming down but I know the clouds will pass." What human can't
immediately put themselves right there? Condo dwellers, perhaps...
Townshend just has a way of putting things. When I listen to his words, I
often feel I can "chune" right in on what he means. When I first heard
Brilliant Blues on White City, I thought it was THE song he wrote about the
Who's breakup. The band is the "brilliant blues," blues for him because it
was no longer fun but is instead a drag, but brilliant nonetheless (in the
British usage of the word brilliant). "It's time." Time to break up the
band. "I don't want to be frozen." Frozen in time, as I read it. An oldies
act. "I spend my mornings in the sunshine cafe." Doing what makes him happy.
And so on...that's just one song. Imagine what I can do with early Dylan!
I do like complexity IF it doesn't clutter the song, and style...it's all
about style, really.
I hope that gives you an idea.

        "The legislature's job is to write law.
             It's the executive branch's job to interpret law."
                  George "Duh-Bya" Bush (yes, he really said it folks)

                  Cheers                                 ML