Re: new songs

> > Still holding out for new material?  Watch out--you might miss it.

> We could take this one around the block a few more times, but I think
> we have to just agree to disagree.  I don't consider Roger's
improvised lyrics in the middle of familiar songs to be a "new" song.

Welcome to music in the 21st Century.  This is recorded and officially
released through Pete's website.  Therefore, it is new music from The
Who.  Is "The Old Gray Whistle Test" any less a song because they play
it in the middle of "Magic Bus?"

>And I certainly hope those were improvised lyrics... something *that*
trite and banal couldn't possibly have been written out beforehand, I
hope.

You guys are just going to have to get used to Roger.  When he has
something to say, he comes right out and says it.  This isn't exactly
trite and banal, though.  It's got dimensions, and it's a nice little
example of Roger's songwriting.  Here's why it's good:  1) In just a
few short lines he's pretty much expressed his entire philosophy and
attitude about The Who and it's history, and gotten pretty personal
about it, too--there's no way to mistake what he's talking about.  2)
He's done this within the theme they seem to be working just
lately--the generation gap from the other side of 50. (See also Pete's
new songs within TKAA.)  3)  He's done the sort of trick Pete does with
that last stanza, where suddenly you've got different meanings to sort
out--now you're dealing with complexity, when all the time you thought
this was going to be trite.  ;)

Here's what I get from the last stanza:

1) The first couple of lines are an obvious challenge.  Within the
theme they're working, it's a challenge to the younger generation to
come and take over what the older generation has.  It's inevitable, of
course.  People get old and infirm, and the younger generations come to
take over the politics and business capital and so on--but Roger's
thinking they shouldn't get too pushy.  ;)

3) Then he softens it with the second couplet into an invitation, along
with some advice on how to do it.

4) Outside the theme they're working, he's laughing about how well The
Who's doing these day.  It's a jab at younger bands who thought The Who
was going to roll over and become a nostalgia act.  ;)

That's three meaning, as least as well as Pete does.  It's a different
world view from Pete's, but come on now.  You knew it was in there,
didn't you?  ;)

LB

>They put us down,
Kicked us round,