"How can we follow?"

> Great letter Mark.  I hope you mail it.

Kevin:

Thanks. I doubt that it did any good, but a friend called last night. He
attended SF, Dallas and Houston. Fourth row Houston, where I should have
been. Anyway, he said the first night Pete was angry and bratty but played
with fever, Rog was hoarse. Second night, Pete wasn't as angry but his
guitarwork was more technically perfect and Rog's voice made it halfway
through the show. Houston was the best of all; Pete was in a great mood and
his performance at an all time high and Rog's voice made it almost to the
end. The point being that Pete progressively got into a better mood. By
Houston he was joking with the audience instead of ranting at them.

> I just take it as it comes, and am very happy when it does.

That's the way it should be. I really don't understand the obsession with
the same songs again and again.

> This leads me into having to make a comment about "following the band".
> find it hard to feel negative at all with anyone who "follows" the band.

I hope I didn't give the impression that I feel that way. It's just not for
me. Well, I've already outlined my reasoning.

> those rare moments in life, when Life is Good.  To me, it's like going to
> church (if you're into that).  Do you go to church to just pray?? No.

Here's what bothers Pete, at least I think what does bother Pete is the
pseudo religious aspect of following the band.

> There is community.  There is family.

Now this I agree with, and disagree with Pete on. The family we never knew
existed. People we share a large influence with.

> I tend not to agree with the notion that this is a "passing emotion".

Perhaps more of a "reoccurring emotion." This isn't the first time I've
read these thoughts from him.

> understand the notion.  How can someone tell me it's "good", or art is
> "bad".  It's all subjective.

This is true, but I'll say it till the day I die: The Who's Art is much
higher than Loverboy's.

> A critic operates on the assumption that *they* know what is good and
bad.

History tells us that the bands themselves are usually the worst judges of
what's they've done. Alright, second worse to the labels.

> I know what *I* like, but couldn't begin to tell Marc what *he* likes.

Who's Marc?

> Pete's not pissed.  I hope some of you can see that.  He's doing
something
> that most don't even bother.  He's reaching out.  He's sharing himself.

That's fine, as long as he doesn't push himself into a corner. Again.

> Yes, this will be my first Vermont winter

Damn, is it winter up there already? It's still in the high 90's here!

> What did you guys think about that mp3 of TKAA?

Keets:

I haven't downloaded it yet. Takes too long.

> right.  Damn, it hurts.  If he could keep up that level of intensity, it
> would be a killer album.

Sounds good to me.

> I think what we are looking for here is what I like to call Compassionate
> Fanaticism.

Jeff:

Aaaiiiiieeeee! That's not what I'm looking for!

> for we can make this a kindler, gentler mail list.  (Applause sign)

Kinder and gentler? Does this sound like Who fans to you? Donovan fans,
maybe...

> And if you're going to institute price controls, don't you think it might
be
> better to start with food and medicine before we got to concert tickets?

Brian:

I'd say the same thing about Napster. If we're going to give things away to
"lower the price" (I still don't get that logic), let's start with medicine
and food and things we must have to survive.

> You're outta you're tiny little fucking mind. Loverboy is horrible shit,
but
> Skynyrd was one of the most honorable, talented and generally all-around
> fantastic bands ever.

Shawn:

Sorry, I don't have a tiny little fucking mind. Lynyrd Skynyrd...let me put
it this way: "What's that smell?" If you want the great Southern
Blues-Rock, go to the source not the imitator: Allman Brothers pre-1972.
And hey, I know bad music when I hear it over and over and over and over
and over and over...
However, if it makes you feel better I class LS on the same level as I do
Led Zeppelin. Same sort of fans, too. This much I know: when I saw Dylan
last year someone behind me yelled to him: "Play SKYNYRD!" I rest my case.

"When you elect me in November, we'll be done with four years of Clinton
and Gore."
       George W. Bush, Presidential Candidate 2000

                    Cheers                  ML