Re: Irvine review from the Orange County Weekly

> But still, how can a person do a complete 180 & spit out so much venom
after
> claiming to have been fan?  Something's not right.  "Oooh, I have to leave
the
> show, it's gonna ruin all my good memories....."

How can a person be dearly in love with someone, feel they betrayed them,
and hate them more than anyone has ever hated anyone before?  It's the same
mechanism here.

It's a mistake in logic:
1) I'm idealistic about rock music.
2) Pete Townshend is idealistic about rock music.
3) The Who do something that violates my ideals about rock music.
Therefore
4) The Who are betrayers of rock and hypocrites.

The mistake is in assuming that your idealism about rock music and Pete's
were the same.  Pete is still idealistic about rock music.  But he has
never, from the beginning, seen a problem with combining art and commerce.
In fact to Pete, good rock and pop music has always been completely tied
with the process of selling it.  That was the whole point of "The Who Sell
Out", that the commercials were part of the same pop universe as the music
and were inseparable.

        -Brian in Atlanta
         The Who This Month!
        http://members.home.net/cadyb/who.htm