Irvine

>Listers,please. how about a few more reviews of yours from the California
>shows? There hasn't been all that much so far about the second leg of the
>tour. For the first leg we were inundated !!
>Regards,
>Derick.

OK Derick, if I must....
Got a late start, but did manage to stop in and say hi to Magik at a
watering hole near the venue.  Ate, Drank, and trudged up the hill to the
lawn.  Unamerican wasn't all that bad.  Funny that in spite of their name,
much of their music had definite American influence (Dylan, Neil Young,
maybe even Counting Crows).  By the end of their set it was getting dark and
a big orange Moon was coming up behind the stage (of course those with good
seats, like Magik, missed this treat...small blessings!)
It always strikes me as a little funny that you can count on the first
couple of songs of a Who show being ancient. Pete remarked after the third
song that the opening songs describe where they're are coming from...that
they "can't explain", and that they're not who we think they are
(substitute), and that they can do what the fuck they want (AAA).  I was
already giggling from the jamming toward the end of AAA, and this got the
rest of the crowd laughing, as well.   Don't Know Myself was next and from
there my recollection of song sequence gets sketchy.   (Can someone please
post the set-list?)
Another humorous part came when John stepped to the mike to lead into My
Wife.   I turned to my buddy George and suggested that they could put
English subtitles on the big screen at just about the same time Pete jumped
in with his own jab. Something to the effect of 'What did he say?'
Truth be told, I went into this show expecting a nostalgic little concert.
I left feeling anything but nostalgic, and completely blown away by the
energy, which rarely let up.
I returned to work Thursday to find that I have to go to Toronto in
September and the first thought that popped to mind was "please let the Who
be in town at the same time!"
No such luck :-(     But I will be seeing them again (and again) at the next
chance I get.

I've already rambled, so I may as well toss out a couple of comments:
I don't think they need to play WGFA at every show.
YBYB is great on the radio, but it just didn't work for me (this time).
Majority of the lawn was standing and/or dancing
Pete's diary says that they played better in San Diego the next night
(incredible!)
Magik said he'd been to eleven consecutive shows (he's laying off for a
while, evidently to prep for MSG, and then London. He even mentioned
Glasgow.  It must be HELL to be rich!)
The kids ARE more than alright!

Cory