Re: The Well Run Dry? (Was Re: FACE DANCES")

>As for Pete, I'm not so sure I believe it's a case of "the well running
>dry".  It seems to me he's spent the bulk of the last 20 years trying to
>convince everyone -- himself included -- that he's outgrown rock & roll,
>that it's somehow beneath him.  He's always been pretentious (in the most
>agreeable sort of way) without being pompous, but judging from the
>discussion here, most people seem to think the qualitative decline in his
>writing began around the time of "Who Are You", continued through "Face
>Dances" and "It's Hard", and invaded his solo work as well -- with the
>possible exception of "Empty Glass".  If this is true, how do we account
>for it?

I'm still not so sure it's a decline.  It's definitely a change, of course,
and something he professes not to have control of.  It's just gotten
terribly personal, and he's right that it's very introspective and mostly
unsuitable for The Who.

What I'm thinking is that he starts with pretty much the same ideas, though,
and only develops them differently.  Who ideas should have a little less
development and a little more Id showing through.

;)
keets