RIAA bites the dust

On Tue, 8 Aug 2000 09:03:13 -0400, "Mark R. Leaman"
<mleaman@sccoast.net> , late of Pablo Fanques Fair wrote:

>There was a time when men couldn't fly, either. Or walk on the moon. They
>want to stop it, and they will. If it takes a program which detects such a
>download and sabotages it, that's what they will do.

They definitely want to stop it, but it takes more than wishes. Let
us take your example of a program that detects and stops downloads
of music. Where is this program going to reside? I certainly don't
intend to install it on my computer. My ISP? They won't cooperate
with the FBI without a court order, what makes you think they will
help RIAA? And even if RIAA managed to hire enough programmers to
create such a program, I would give it a week, maybe, before the
patch to break it gets posted all over the Web.

The recording industry right now is in the same situation as the
software industry. Basically, all they have to sell is 1s and 0s,
plus a little packaging, and the 1s and 0s can be duplicated quite
easily. You can get an illegal but free copy of most programs just
for a little looking around. Now, if the people who know most about
programs, the software industry, cannot stop software piracy, what
on earth makes you think the RIAA can write a program to do it?

--
Kevin B. O'Brien                  TANSTAAFL
kob1@ix.netcom.com

Help fight SPAM. Join CAUCE. http://www.cauce.org/