Napster, hearing impaired bootlegging

I'm a little surprised to see the pro-RIAA rant on the
Who newsgroup. The figures sited (13 million downloads
a day!!!) and "lost" revenue worries remind me of the
days when record companies whined about home taping.
Remember, the RIAA tried for a time to get a steep
home taping tax attached to blank cassette sales...who
were they fooling? Is Elton John (for one example) in
the poorhouse today because of home taping in the 70's
and 80's? Or Aerosmith? Anybody?
All that is happening is that the incredible greed
that record companies have wallowed in for decades is
just catching up with them, a little at a time.
Anybody on this newsgroup that has ever had a record
contract, or even come close to having one, can tell
you that the things that record companies get away
with would be sacrilege in any other business. The
contracts that musicians sign would be laughed at if
they were ever allowed to be scrutinized by a court of
law.
Lastly, the "billion dollar bootleg industry" (har
har!) has been recording shows from in-house FM band
signals for years. Why is this suddenly news? they
don't sound all that great, by the way, sort of like a
flat AM radio signal, really.
Okay, I'm done ranting. Have a nice day now.