Chicago Venue

Anne wrote:

>What do you guys think.... Detroit or Chicago...which would be more fun???
>I saw Phish at the Palace and that was a great venue...anyone with info
about the World Theatre???
>WOW....unbelievable.......maybe I'll see some of you there....I will be the
one ascending to the heavens in a fit of
>ecstacy.
>ANNE

I've seen too many bands at Chicago's World Music Theater and I swore up and
down that there's only ONE BAND IN THE UNIVERSE that will get me back into
that place.  And, you guessed it - it's The Who.  Personally, I hate that
rotten place.  You get frisked by Nazis at the gate (regardless if the
artist for the night is Pavoratti or the Sex Pistols), the sound is
distorted and low (neighboring Tinley Park has petitioned against the
noise), if you get a lawn-seat your vision is blocked, and even if you do
score a pavillion seat, chances are there will be a huge pillar blocking
some portion of the stage.  Last summer during the Paul Simon/Bob Dylan
show, you could actually talk to someone next to you without raising your
voice - that's how low the sound is now.  If you have a zest for beer, be
prepared to have a credit check and a co-signer handy - I think it'll be
close to $500.00 for a beer this summer.  And if you plan on bringing in a
little Pink Floyd ("...hey is this tobacco, or Pink Floyd?"), make sure you
crotch it - they WILL pat you down closely.

The Who were at the World for the second leg of the Quad tour and - I'm
seriously not biased here - the lads from Shephard's Bush were the only band
I ever saw there that overcame the rotten sound system.  They were without a
doubt the finest sounding act I heard at the World ever.  Regardless of my
love of that venue, I WILL be attending the show for my seventh Who concert.
This is not a "concert" - it's an event.  Anne, if you liked the Palace in
Detroit, I recommend seeing them in Detroit.  But if you want outdoors, well
you can experience the World.  Good luck.  Now let's all bow to the gods of
touring and thank them for convincing the 'Ooo to tour again.  Later all...

Jim in Chicago

"...and I think that Townshend, The Who, Roger Daltrey, Entwistle, Moon
could rise this country out of its decadent state better than Wilson and all
those crappy people could ever hope to achieve!!!"  - Ken Russell
is unauthorized.