RE: Baba, classic in oh so many ways.

> >Here I am ready to dig through it in depth now, and eveybody's ho-hum.
>
>(O'Neal, Kevin) I'll Play!!
>Sorry for the delay, man what a busy week! And now snow!!!
>Were there specific questions?  I thought you simply asked for opinion.

I asked if this is an orchestration of the standard "Baba O'Riley" that The
Who does.  It sounds very abstract to me, like accompaniment without the
lyric line, and I have a really hard time paying attention to it.  There's
lots of interesting stuff going on in there, but without the lyric line it
doesn't form a coherent whole.  It just doodles around and doesn't say
anything.  Am I right that it doesn't have a theme?  Or is it there and I'm
just not hearing it?

>I love the beginning, but then much of Pete's classical stuff kind of
>leaves "who-ville" if you will, and becomes just another classical piece to
>me.

What?  I love the little "Prelude" on SCOOP II, but I've not heard much of
anything else.  Got any great sources for other stuff?  :)

>It's good stuff, don't get me wrong, but I would much rather hear Pete take
>more of his Who and solo material and give it to an orchestra to play.

I'd love to hear that, too.  I do like the heated, full-blown
interpretations, though.  Pete/The Who have always done the more delicate
numbers like "Behind Blue Eyes," "And I Moved" and "One Life's Enough"
extremely well, and they have a sparkle that I don't hear from the London
Symphony.  That bunch has a very cold sound that I don't think is especially
appropriate to Pete's work.  The Juilliard Orchestra did much better IMO.

>Who knows, maybe it would suck, but if the excitement Baba generates is any
>indication...

I haven't read much about it on any of the lists.  Have you heard anything
about it elsewhere?

>I'll say this, ever since hearing Baba played classically, it's taken on a
>much grander meaning for me.  Kind of religious.....well, maybe just grand
>is a better description.  It's breathed new life into the song for me.

I loved it as background to the play, but as a performance piece, I didn't
much like it.  Do you suppose Pete's about to go into composing movie
soundtracks?  :)

keets