Re: The great debate (By Numbers vs. Who Are You vs. It's Hard)

(Oops, I accidentally sent this only to Brian and not to the whole
list like I intended...)

In article <002c01bf9f66$4f4a1940$d37e0418@chmbl1.ga.home.com>,
    "Brian Cady" <cadyb@home.com>  writes:

> that's the one studio album of theirs that comes closest to making me yawn.

What I love most about these exchanges is that having read email
messages from you all for a while now, I sort of feel that I know you.
(And of course there's those few of you with whom I've jumped up and
down like a movie extra in Quadrophenia!)

So when one of these "what song/album sucks the most?" or "what's a
good song for a wedding?" questions comes up I find it really
interesting what everyone thinks because there is no one right answer,
every person's answer is right for them.  Sometimes it seems like the
answer tells me more about the person than it does about The Who.
See, I never would have guessed that Brian, a fellow movie extra,
would have said that Who Are You is a yawner!

I remember that the 2nd album (Happy Jack/A Quick One) took a long time
to grow on me.  I used to skip "A Quick One" all the time!  I thought
it was too long and rather boring.  Of course that all changed the
first time I saw the Rock and Roll Circus performance included in the
Kids Are Alright film ;-).

So for those of you who really dislike Face Dances or Its Hard -- would
you rather listen to "Heat Wave", "Bucket T", "Barbara Ann", "Silas
Stingy", "Doctor Doctor", "Cobwebs and Strange", "I Need You", etc.,
instead of FD/IH tracks?

Maybe its because Face Daces and Its Hard were the only Who albums
that came out *after* I became a fan (Who Are You had just come out
before I started getting into them) that I care for them a little more
than some of you ;-).

Who By Numbers was another album that took a while to grow on me.  I
think I bought that studio album last when I was catching up on what
had come before I was paying attention.  It too grew on me.

Pete's solo albums are also like this for me.  Sometimes I buy them
and on the first listen I *know* I'm going to love it.  Then other
albums I buy them and they don't exactly floor me on the first listen.
I listen to it again and give it a rest, maybe pull it out later and
listen to it another time and then my appreciation for it grows.
Sometimes Pete's ability to get 'personal' in his songs is a little
too strong for my mood and instead I just want a 'rocker' of a song.
Other times, I need that little cerebral trip he takes me on because
I'm in a more pensive mood.  <shrug>
--
<http://www.xmission.com/~legalize/>	Legalize Adulthood!
    ``Ain't it funny that they all fire the pistol,