Re: oh my god, the Who killed Kenney

>He was no Moon of course. Simon was better and Zak better yet.
>Time and time again, Pete and John say Kenney was a laying down the beat
>kind of drummer, which they usually demonstrate by air-drumming cross
>handed.

You have to figure that was what Pete wanted, because he hasn't really
changed the style of what he's been writing since then.  The music he's
written since 1980 generally has a more regular beat (even works with a drum
machine!) and avoids the lead crescendos that are likely what hurt his ears.
  On the solo albums it's delicate, highly textured stuff, tempered by the
bite he always has in the lyrics--but then it revs up fine when TED plays it
live, too.  FACE DANCES is hard to pigeonhole, but I'd guess it was a
transition.  By the time he got to IT'S HARD, he'd figured out what he
wanted to do--the other day I heard "Eminence Front" start on the radio (at
low volume) and at first I took to to be something off one of Pete's solo
albums.  Everything since then has had about that same sound.

It may be correct that the production on the later albums didn't suit The
Who's style, and maybe it took RD and JAE a while to adjust to the new
style.  I thought they were sounding pretty good by the time the '82 tour
finished up.

keets