RE: Who's the drummer & Pete's writing

> > I would hate it to be Simon Phillips...too mechanical, no feeling!
> >
> > Drew
>
> I agree.  I think Simon Phillips blows.  Zak Starkey was much more
> enjoyable in the live Quad shows.  I say
> make it a "reunion" show & have Kenny Jones play !  He took a lot of
> criticism for his stint with The WHO
> (mostly from Daltrey !) but let's be honest :  was it just the drumming
> that was bad on the last two WHO
> studio albums, or was it really Townshend's songs that sucked?
>
> Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1999 20:13:10 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Andreas J Athans <ajathans@cisunix.unh.edu>
> Subject: Re: Simon Phillips
>
> That's true, but as anyone who knows me wil surely prove, I *HATE* with a
> passion Kenney Jones-era material...for me The Who ended with Moonie's
> death and that Jones-stuff was an afterthought that I think puts an
> unnecessary blemish on an otherwise stellar career.  Yeah Pete's writing
> wasn't so great, but Kenney's limp'n'lifeless drumming sure didn't help!
>
> Drew

	**Ouch is right.  I agree that Kenney's drumming was boring (just
say NO! to a "reunion with Kenney") and Simon is too technical for The Who
(although he is one of the best "technical/neat/clean/refined" drummers I've
ever heard.....on par with Niel Pert) BUT...to say Pete's writing at that
time sucks or is a blemish is not only blasphemous (ha, ha) but ignores the
pressures of that time.  THE MUSIC HAD TO CHANGE, AND DID!!   I tend to not
like 'Face Dances' much, but I also think this was a big transition period
for Pete in many, many ways (Keith, disco-new wave, drugs, emerging Punk,).
I thought 'It's Hard' was a great album.  Pete didn't get lazy and just sit
back and do the same thing over and over and over (ala The Stones).  Pete
grew.  Pete experimented.  I admire him for taking that road.  We all grow.
ISN'T THIS WHY WE LOVE THE WHO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sometimes growing can be
painful (Face Dances), but once you have gone through it, you are a better
person/writer/musician (It's Hard) for it.  I've always felt (and still do)
that most of Pete's solo material (some of his best writing at that time)
should have been Who material.  Oh man, I can just hear it!  Quick, give me
a chair to throw!!!
	But I digress.
	GIVE ME ZAK!!!  Zak has the talent, the energy, the anger, the
feeling, the connection, the past!  Hell, Zak was taught by the master Moon
himself!!  Imagine the stories he could tell of his dad and Moon drinking
and partying.  Zak was great at the Quad shows.
	If I had my way I would want Zak, and the Rabbit, and no one else.
If Pete needs Simon to take care of some electric work...fine.  But let's
keep it in the family!

	Stay in Tune,
	Kevin