Re: The Who Mailing List Digest V6 #257

Derrick wrote:

On the subject of IOW not selling well, I have to agree withBrian, neither
the CD or the Video was promoted well enough to haveany kind of impact. I
think I saw one small ad in the backpages ofRolling Sone and that was it.
I also think the Quad tours were very poorly promoted too.  Nothing like
the old days at all .  Anyway enough of all that Ladies and Gentlemen I
think we have some nice days ahead of us and let's all enjoy ourselves and
welcome back THE WHO !  Regards DericK.

I think that the promotion, or lack thereof, is a good thing for the core
fans.  I was a little dissapointed to find that some of the quad shows
didn't sell out.  But then again, only we know what everyone else was
missing.  I remember when the Dead got really popular, and all the threads
on rec.music.gdead had flames about the newbies just going to shows for
the party, and ruining a great thing for the hard cores.   Anyway,  I
don't mind that the Who aren't getting promoted more because we are all
the promotion that they need.  Remember cincinatti?  I think that the hype
around the shows had much to do with that, despite the piss-hole operation
for a general admission venue.  Too many people; too few doors;  too much
hype!  A mere 20 years later.... I don't even get search walking into the
United Center.  Great show by the way.  I listen to it all the time.  And
no ya can't buy a copy, don't sell em.   I give 'em away.  Share it with a
friend.  And if any of my friends out there have a copy of the essen West
Germany show with Pete playing those tunes with the dead, I'd like a copy.
I've got a fairly good quality AAudio.  Lookin' for a low generation radio
copy or the video.  P.S.  HOB got it together the second time in ticcket
distribution for the friday show in that using vouchers they got rid of
about 500 scalpers boys from the reports I've heard.  My friend went both
times and got squat.  I just went the second time and got lucky in the
firstround.  Some people got really burned coming into chi-town for the
first lottery from other lands.  For them, I'm sad.  I resigned myself to
those less fortunate before the second lottery.  But my buddy and I are
going now.  Thanks Mary Beth, for doing it right with the HOB this time.
See ya at the show.
Later, Ace

*  Michael Kaminsky       |Do, or do not;  there is no try! --- Yoda****
*  gsu0013@govst.edu      |Recycle electrons;  please reply! -- Me******