RE: Drummers

I must chime in here about drummers. Metal drummer by in large suck. The goal of most of the players is to try and sound like John Bonham. The sound is achieved not by their playing ability unfortunately but by the recording technique. I believe that rock drumming was very boring and sedate before Keith brought attention to the instrument. No other drummer had drawn people's attention away from the singer or guitarist before Keith. Drumming in  90's rock bands are far superior to the "Metal" show playing that plagued the 80's. In the 80's you had Neil Peart, Stewart Copleland and then eveyone else. There are exceptions of course in Metal drumming but for the most part the drummers in metal werer there just to give a steady beat to the guitarist or the singer, not to be an equal in the band like the rock bands of the 90's or the 70's for that matter.

Dave

PS Dave Grohl is the drummer for Nirvana. A very 'bombastic' player indeed.

>>> "O'Neal, Kevin W." <Kevin.ONeal@vtmednet.org> 10/13/99 11:09AM >>>

> > drummers in "the day" were by comparison much more sedate than today.
> Heavy
> > Metal really opened the door for 'bombastic'  (love that word now)
> drumming.
>
> I GUESS, if you say so. I don't know; they aren't impressing me. Maybe
> we're not listening to the same things.

	[O'Neal, Kevin W.] Don't get me wrong here, I am not a fan of Heavy
Metal. Nor am I impressed by any of those drummers.  Simply comparing
drumming in general.    Give me Keith, or Zack, or Neil Pert, or Simon, or
even the drummer from Nirvana (don't know his name....shows you how much I
know).  Other than that......eh.
	Kevin.