RE: The Who Mailing List Digest V6 #235

> It Was Quadrophenia that really drew me into the Who.  I remember
> listening
> to the album
> with my brothers big headphones and thinking that this guy Pete Townshend
> really understands.
> JC
>
> > Yes, Yes, Yes !!!  QUADROPHENIA is still my "If-I-Had-To-Choose"
> favorite
> album by The WHO
> > (LIVE AT LEEDS is right on it's heels, though).  You mentioned the part
> before Love Reign
> > O'er Me which is called The Rock.  How about Moon's drumming in that
> part
> !  It's bombastic !
> >
> > That whole album, with its themes of depression, elation, sex, confusion
> and balls-out drunkenness
> > really hits home sometimes !  Compare this to what rock music is today !
> Who is treating rock like
> > fine literature?  Who is aspiring to take rock to higher grounds?  Who
> is
> treating rock as an artistic
> > medium?  You tell me !!!  You know, that PSYCHODERELICT album by Pete
> might not have sold
> > very well (and arguably rightly so), but give the guy credit for even
> attempting that album with its
> > album-woven-in-a-stage-play construction.  Who's attempting stuff like
> that?!
> > - SCHRADE in Akron

	[O'Neal, Kevin W.]  Sorry, was out for a couple o days.  The Leeds
show definitely is my second favorite album as well.  If Pete's equipment
hadn't malfunctioned at IOW right before the classic roller coaster ride of
Magic Bus, etc (like from Leeds) IOW would be my second favorite.
	To answer your question. NO ONE!!!! Only Pete has, can and will
again take rock to the levels of true bliss and insight.  I hate to use the
words genius, but when talking about Pete's music it's hard to find the
words to really give it justice.
	What it is in my mind, is a person truly sacrificing his soul and
privacy for our benefit.  He does truly understand, and is not embarrassed
to speak his mind.  For that I will always be thankful.
	I in turn also understand how hard it must be/must have been for
Pete to expose himself like this.  Hey, I'd be getting drunk and f'd up too.
For that Pete has my never ending loyalty.  He spoke when others were too
preoccupied with satisfying what the record companies thought we wanted.
	Ya have to hand it to Pete.  He has always been his own man.
Something I try to be as well.
	Staying in Tune,
	Kevin