Re: Chicago Sun Times Review

Chicago Sun-Times wrote:
>They were almost too good, delivering note-for-note perfect
>renditions of songs already overly familiar from
>countless playings on classic-rock radio.

Like Pure and Easy or After The Fire or Mary-Anne With The Shaky Hand...

>By far the most interesting part of the more than two-hour
>performance came towards the end of the night, when the band
>loosened up for a long jam on "Magic Bus" with Daltrey on
>harmonica and Pete Townshend riffing on Mose Allison before
>the tune completely fell apart.
>Townshend apologized and called it crap (actually, he used
>a different word). But in fact it was energizing because
>it showed the group deviating from the script—the lyrics
>were all posted on a TelePrompTer--and daring to improvise
>and play off of each other.

I really don't remember it falling apart or being any less than amazing.
I think Pete was referencing Roger's harmonica playing, kidding around.
I did notice the teleprompter, 'tho.  During Pure and Easy
John was squinting at it like "what key am I suppose to be
in now"?

>The rest of the set had little spontaneity...

Stepped out during 5:15 did we?

>While the Who is reportedly considering a new album in the
<spring and a full-scale summer shed tour, there did not
>appear to be much love lost between Townshend and Daltrey.
>The two interacted as little as possible,

Which is why they were talking to each other away from the
microphones through half the show.

	-Brian in Atlanta