Re: The Who Mailing List Digest V6 #123

Okay, here's the deal.  There's some discussion of it elsewhere, so I have a
better idea of what was going on today.  They had this discussion about Bill
being censored the night before and said some mentions of the Louise
Woodward case would be contempt of court right now because her folks are
being investigated for misuse of the funds donated for her defense.  From
that they went on to explain how the slander/libel laws are different in the
UK.  There's not the same "burden of proof" on the plantiff, so it's really
easy to sue and collect damages if somebody says anything "rude" about you.

So then Roger mentions the Chief Inspector of Schools is knocking off a
sixth-former, and then backs up, adding "allegedly" and some kind of fancy
footwork with the Hall guy.  It sounds like a criminal case, so I figured it
was the contempt of court thing.  Folks in the UK say it's not in court now,
though, so the problem was a possible libel suit.  The Chief Inspector is a
guy named Whitehead who's supposed to set moral and educational standards in
the schools and he recently said it shouldn't be considered a problem if
teachers had affairs with their students.  So the media uncovered this
affair he had with an eighteen-year-old student when he was teaching back in
the seventies, and there's kind of a scandal, which Roger was commenting on.
  Since Roger's fairly well-heeled, he'd be a a likely target for a libel
suit, and that's what the fuss was about.

keets