P.S. Re: The Who Mailing List Digest V6 #109

BTW, there are times when I've caught JAE playing the melody line, that is,
what Roger's singing.

keets

>>I will preface this by saying I am not a musician, so I probably don't
>>know what I am talking about.  When I listen to "The Real Me", it sounds
>>like Pete is playing rhythm guitar, and John is playing "lead" on the
>>bass. I am not aware of any other bass players who play like this.  Any
>>comments from the people that know what they are talking about.

>Sounds right to me.  Even more obvious are occasions when the lead guitar
>plays a passage in one concert and JAE plays it in the next.
Besides this switch-off (going back), there are times when the JAE's bass
and Pete's lead seem to compete without much relationship (would that be a
jazz characteristic?), and other times when they work together very
powerfully.  A fine example of this is the "Roadrunner" number from Pontiac
'75, where Pete plays against a complex bass.  You guys who are serious
musicians, what happens there?  Is it counter-point?