quotes

Repost from another list.  I checked out the forum and found a quote along
the lines of Lifehouse.

keets

>Here's an interesting entry into the Ethan Russell discussion forum.  The
>Circus" video and should have released it earlier.

>>Re: PETE TOWNSHEND THE WHO

Category: The Web
From: pete townshend
Date: 3/5/99
Time: 3:37:53 PM

Comments

i couldn 't agree more

>"We were keeping our eye on 1984. When the year came and the prophecy
>didn't, thoughtful Americans sang softly in praise
of themselves. The roots of liberal democracy had held...But we had
forgotten that alongside Orwell's dark vision, there was
another, slightly older, slightly less well known, equally chilling: Aldous
Huxley's "Brave New World"....Orwell warns that we
will be overcome by an externally opposed oppression. But in Huxley's vision
no Big Brother is required...As he saw it people
will come to love their oppression, to adore the technologies that undo
their capacities to think. What Orwell feared is those
who would ban books. What Huxley feared was that there would be no reason to
ban a book for there would be no one who
wanted to read one...Orwell feared we would become a captive culture. Huxley
feared we would become a trivial culture,
preoocupied with the equivalent of the feelies, the orgy progy, and the
centrifugal bumblepuppy...In 1984 Huxley added people
are controlled by inflicting pain. In Brave New World they are controlled by
inflicting pleasure. In short, Orwell feared that
what we hate will ruin us. Huxley feared that what we love will ruin us.

--From the Foreward to Amusing Ourselves to Death - Public Discourse in the
Age of Television by Neil Postman Copyright c
Neil Postman 1985.