Re: Feedback on feedback, pigs is pigs, and Hendrix's Blues

> No, Lennon never claimed that in any interview I could dig up.
> The first time I heard that particular story was from McCartney
> in the Anthology video.

Carolyn:

I stand corrected.

> Of course the Who was doing it onstage long before IFF was recorded, but
> they still hadn't released any records with controlled feedback.

My point remains; as I said it's been a long time since that discussion and
I don't recall the exact dates...nor do I currently have the time to look
them up! However, Lennon "got" the idea after coincidentally having a band
open for him which we KNOW used controlled feedback...

> In August of 1964.  But would Lennon have picked up the idea of feedback
> from their performance on that day?  I doubt it, since they probably only
> played two numbers, "I'm The Face" and "Zoot Suit".

Well, it wasn't only one show (the HN replaced The Kinks as the openers as
You Really Got Me became a number one, or so said Ray Davies in 1995), and
I can definitely believe The Beats "picked up" ideas right left and center
(or centre, if you prefer). I'm currently reading Paul McCartney: Many
Years From Now by Barry Miles, which has massive interview material from
Paulie about the band, and there were more "pick-ups" than most Beatle fans
would care to know about.
Excellent book, BTW. I recommend it. Not enough Who in there for me, but we
can't always get what we want...uh, wait a second...wrong band...

> I saw the KWS band on VH-1 and it sounded like rock they were playing.
> Only takes a small shift in the beat to go from one sound to the other.

Keets:

But Rock is Rock and Blues is Blues and pigs is pigs, or so claimed Mike
Flannery.

> When you consider how young they are, they're got tremendous potential.

We'll see. I hear SRV's praises sung to high heaven all of the time, but he
still did Hendrix. I'm singularly not impressed. Then again, I'll be the
first to admit I'm jaded. I've heard the greatest Rock band to ever walk
the face of the Earth, you see...

            Cheers                           ML

"We're going to have the best-educated American people in the world."
--Presidential candidate Dan Quayle