Re: re-Who catlog 'sellout'

Point taken Derick but I tend to keep the Who as one of those groups that was all about rebellion. They basically can be credited to helping in the formation of punk in the 70's. That is what the trouble is with all the commercials in my mind. When I think of the Who I don't think of them in the here and now, I think of them during the Live at Leeds era when Pete especially was very outspoken in his distaste for the establishment. On the other hand, One of the things that I admire most about Pete is that his songwriting is that it represents where Pete is in his life. Therefore evolving. The same can be said for Pete's willingness to use Who songs in commercials. Now he just feels comfortable with doing it. So what this means is that he has every right to use his work the way he sees fit and it is cool to here a Who song on the TV and in Movies, but at the same time, The Who as a posterchild for the anti-establishment is dead, part of another era. I'm sure TED is way past caring about that anyway. People who don't like the idea of Who songs for commercials should follow suit.

My 2 cents

Dave

>>> Derick Bhupsingh <circles01@hotmail.com> 06/22/99 12:21PM >>>
Hi all,
      I'm not quite sure what to make of this situation. Some of you
seem to be enjoying the spate of movies and commercials with Who
music on them yet there seems to be some who don't  quite like the
idea.
     I put it down to this,if you have something valuable,a work of art,be
it music,poetry,whatever,and there is a demand for it,then
what could be wrong with selling it or leasing it or whatever? After
all it was YOU, the artist who created it! In the case of The Who,
it has been well documented that they were not able to make their
money in the heyday of their career due to professional reasons etc...
So why not make it now ? And are they actually doing so anyway ?
I say stroll on lads !
Regards, Derick.