Re: A good ol' fashioned debate! Or three?

>Of course, the details aren't important because basically it doesn't
matter how Tommy "got there," he had to be seperate from society in
order to become Pete's vehicle for social commentary.
>But you raise a point...violence in the story. OK, I agree with
you...but apart from the killing of the lover (or father if you're
talking about the movie version), which is the reason for Tom's
withdrawl, there is none before he becomes deaf dumb and blind. Or am I
missing a disc?

Not specifically, but think about how the story would play out in
reality.  If you're going to be at all realistic, personalities aren't
formed by just one event at one point in time.  It's a lifelong process
of stimulus and response (though children are more malleable).  I had
figured the withdrawal as a continuing process based on continuing
violence.  PT starts the story with the murder and Tommy's reaction, but
these could be a metaphor for the war and the injuries it dealt (to all
concerned), making it quite a bit more than just a convenience to get
into the social commentary.

>> To date, DALTREY is still the best solo album Roger has released
>
>My vote would go to McVICAR.

Good album, but how many times can you let it go around in the cd
player?

>Townshend's songs, from SO onward at least, have levels and more
meaning than even he seemed to be aware of. For that matter, even My
Generation and AAA were more than they appeared on the surface.

>The point is that Pete is an intellectual, and even though I believe at
times he did his damnest to keep it at bay so he could write some hit
songs,

Uh-unh.  That's not intellectual.  It monsters right out of the
subconscious.  The Id is harder to access as you get older, so PT has
changed to a more meditative, intellectual style, but the work still has
that same gut-level quality.

>it comes through. And I would never say that Lennon/McCartney
>weren't better music-writers (for the most part; Townshend definitely
had his moments), and along with that I'd have to say Dylan is the
greatest of the lyric-writers...but at the same time, I'd declare that
Peter Townshend was the best at both together,

You have to put Paul Simon in there somewhere.

>> tears people up.  Remember Carol O'Connor's public statements re his
son's death and his suit against the drug dealer?  O'Connor says if you
love 'em, go for it.

>But that's blaming the wrong thing.  To paraphrase: "Drugs don't kill
people; people kill people."

I'm not sure we understood one another.  O'Connor wasn't talking about
his lawsuit, but about intervention in his son's life.  He says now that
he should have locked the kid up.

>Any other idea is ridiculous. Many, MANY
>people have been successful drug-users for decades, contributing to
society and having happy and useful lives.

And some can't handle it at all.  I'm not sure it's entirely a matter of
personality, or strength of character, either.  Sensitivity is beginning
to look like it has to do with receptors in the brain, meaning drugs
just don't affect everybody the same way.  We don't know quite enough
about it yet, so it remains a difficult moral choice for the bystanders.
I'd suspect that when somebody's thrity years old, though, it's too late
to stop them.

keets

They are unable to publically admit