Overrating, American Bands, Drum Machines, Thomas, and some Pretty Things

> I'll stick up for the Eagles in a limited way...everything UP TO but NOT
> INCLUDING the "Hotel California" album is quite listenable.

Alan:

Even One Of These Nights for the 1000th time? Or Lying Eyes? Or an endless
version of Take It To The Limit?

> Personally, I think Rush is overrated.

Definitely. Nothing there.

> God no!!  Creedence!  The Allman Brothers!  The Byrds!  The Velvet
> Underground

Leo:

Mountain! The Beach Boys! Doors! ZAPPA, fer Gawd's sake!

> in return).  BTW, I'm on the fence about Who's Next and Quad myself.

I don't know if it's alright to quote a Stones song here or not, so I
won't.

> Drum machines suck.

Keets:

Absolutely. Now if you'll just tell Pete...

> ignore the evidence of his own senses.  How interesting, that Ken
> Russell should originally plan for this change to happen before the
> song, not after it.

Cheryl:

It was as a result of the Mother & Lover (actually the Father in the
original) screaming at Tommy. Russell obviously didn't understand the
story.

> the actual inventors of the concept album, the rock opera and the rock
> and roll lifestyle.

Keets:

Yeah, and don't forget the airplane and the wheel while they're at it.
Taylor's still smarting from leaving the Stones moments before they made
it, that's all. Would like to be considered one of the "big boys," when
quite obviously he's not. You know why he's saying all of this? Because
someone's actually paying attention to him for the first time in 30 years!
He's dazed and confused...'I coulda been a contender..."

> Regarding the Pretty Things influence on the Who...
> In 1968, a full year before the release of "Tommy", The Pretty Things =
> album "S.F. Sorrow" was released

Sheryl:

A fine thing, except Pete was already working on TOMMY by 1968. So it
doesn't wash, at least with me. Plus as I've said before, SF SORROW doesn't
have action following action the way TOMMY does. It's more like SGT.
PEPPER, which is a concept album NOT a Rock Opera.