Camille Paglia on The Who

Camille Paglia, that feminist gadfly, contrasted The Sex Pistols with The Who
and
The Rolling Stones in the most recent issue of the internet magazine Salon.  You
can read the entire piece at:

http://www.salonmagazine.com/col/pagl/

Here's the part about The Who:

"The Sex Pistols undoubtedly struck many young listeners as highly original, but
in the late 1970s I was already 30 and had gotten my punk zap from the Velvet
Underground, whose mesmerizing first album was released in 1967, when I was in
college. In their first phase (the early- to mid-1960s), the Rolling Stones and
the Who had also been aggressively punk in assumptions and attitude.

"Punk anarchism may be an adolescent phase of simplistic rebellion against
authority.
The Rolling Stones’ canonical late-1960s songs, "Sympathy for the Devil,"
"Jumpin’
Jack Flash," "Street Fighting Man" and "Gimme Shelter," are far more
comprehensive
statements about life and its inevitable conflicts between individualism and
order.
The Sex Pistols’ Sid Vicious, who died of a drug overdose in 1979 several months
after he was charged with murdering his girlfriend, didn’t live long enough to
work
through his early punk positions.

"I would cite the Who’s magnificent, rumbling "Eminence Front" (from the 1982
"It’s
Hard" album), with its penetrating insights into psychology and politics, as an
example
of what an evolved punk can and should achieve. Anarchism is glorified
thumb-sucking.
Off with the diapers, and on to business! Construction, not destruction, is the
name
of the human game."

			-Brian in Atlanta