Personal Ravings From Working Overtime

How the Who are you all?  Good, glad to hear it.

First of all, I must say, "Dawser for President" (just stay away from my
girlfriend!)  I think that the Tarentinophobia posting from the recent
past was right on the money!  Nice work!

Also, I think that John Keen was right-on too when he said that Bruce
Springsteen was over-rated.  I do disagree with John, however, about
Brucie having any great stuff at all.  You see, I have personal reasons
for hating The Bruce.  First of all, I hated Bruce BEFORE it was cool to
hate Bruce.  (But seriously folks...)  When I was in high school in the
early 80s, discussions of music used to get awful colorful when the
argument came up over who was a better songwriter, Pete or Bruce
Stringbean (Ron Wood's name for Springsteen).  It used to come damn
close to punches when myself, standing alone in defense of Pete, would
get cornered by flocks of that damn Springsteen's fans.  "Bruce's songs
are about life, man.  They have meaning" was their battle cry.  Yeah,
Pink Cadillac is really inspiring, isn't it?  Yeech.  I'd rather stick
my private parts into a blender than listen to Bruce for an extended
period of time.  Sorry to those of you who like Bruce; I'm not saying
that Brucie is DEFINITELY shitty, I just PERSONALLY think so.  But
enough about the draft dodging, Mr. Born in the USA.  (Please somebody
ask why I called him a draft-dodger).

Another item of note:  Pete's sexuality.  I also agree with the person
who said that Pete's sexuality should not be "off limits" in this
discussion group.  I did say "who cares" in a previous post, but that's
not to say the topic is taboo.  There are new people on this list each
week and closing topics is not a good thing.  Actually though, I really
don't have anything to say on the matter.  I do recall hearing Pete
himself say that the origional article that pegged him as "coming out of
the closet" was taken out of context.

Also, MOJO magazine:  I'll have to check, but I'll find the date of an
old MOJO from about 3-4 years ago.  Neil Young was on the cover and
inside there was a FANTASTIC Daltrey interview.  He pulled no punches
and went for the bullseye on each topic.  In other words, he (in his
usual frankness) called it the way he saw it.  At one point when asked
about his well-publicized feelings about Kenney Jones, he flatly stated
that he thought that Kenney should never have been in The Who. "Wow"
says I.  As mean as that sounds, he was, ironically, very supportive of
Kenney's abilities as a drummer.  I'll never forget the quote Rog made:
"Putting Kenney Jones in The Who is like putting Cadillac wheel covers
on a Rolls Royce.  Their both excellent, but they just don't match."
(loose translation).  I heartily agree with the "little singer" as Ringo
used to refer to Rog.  This particular issue of MOJO has a couple other
Who related articles too.

Finally, as we've discussed great Who albums, Who Are You gets mentioned
almost as an afterthought.  I don't know why, I think it's one of their
best and is indicative of the next great musical plane The Who were
about to reach before Keith went to that great Holiday Inn in the sky.
Sorry, but one of my personal favorites of ANY Who song is "Guitar and
Pen" and I know Who fans that hate that one.  Never could understand
why.  All right, my ravings are complete for now.

Have a great week Who-ligans.

Jim in Chicago

"We try harder and harder trying to get our way, but it's a long, long
way 'til Judgement Day.  So settle your affairs and take your time;
everything in the world is yours and mine.  Yours and mine."  PT

"Could you keep it together?"  KM