Re: The Broadway Tommy

Howard, re:

>I saw a traveling theatre troupe perform Tommy right here in Ft. Wayne,
>Indiana (USA).And while I enjoyed the subtle differences in the storyline
>as opposed to the original album,
>I wouldn't mind if I never heard the phrase "Tommy can you hear me" sung
>in 6 part harmony,
>and especially no vibrato.  As a matter of fact, I think it should be made
>illegal.

See, I especially enjoyed that.  As well as the choir singing the "ahhs"
during "Christmas," and the harmonies in "Capt. Walker," and a bunch of
other things.  But as you said:

>Tommy is a ROCK opera, not a rock OPERA.

And there are obviously two different stances that people take.  In my
opinion, it can be either one.  In actuality, it can be whatever Pete
Townshend wants it to be.

Good luck with JCS..

Brian, re:
>The special effects didn't compete with the music or story
>but actually made them stronger (unlike almost any other late 80's/early 90's
>effects-laden Broadway show I can think of).

I completely agree!  The entire overture is BRILLIANT.  From the opening
with the eyes projected on the curtain, to Capt. Walker jumping out of the
plane...the whole thing is great.  The moving pinball machine is awesome
and they added a nice touch when the entire theatre (orchestra section
anyway) became a pinball machine...the addition of the media and cameras
and TVs was also great.

Did you know that the string section of the orchestra played from the
seventh floor dressing room with surveillance cameras between them and the
conductor?  No clue how they did that but it's on p.118 of the Tommy book.

And I agree with you about the ending...after Sally Simpson I found it to
get a bit weak.

Jay

 		   <hare@acsu.buffalo.edu>
           	http://www.acsu.buffalo.edu/~hare
           Wen yu fre fal, fynd iff heven waitz. - David Ives