Re: Who Are You, anyway

>>Hell, Pete did better on his own later and IH is also better IMHO,
although perhaps not that much better.

>I'll stand with you on that one.  I'd rather hear the It's Hard LP over
the Who Are You LP anyday although there isn't a song on IH as good as
the song "Who Are You."

Come on, you guys can't be serious.  "It's Hard" is a transition piece,
and the new sound didn't come together for the album at all.  It took
TED the whole of the '82 tour to sort out how it ought to be played.

Brian posted an article on O&S and somebody pointed out where Pete says
the WAY album is more of Lifehouse--about reliving the same experience
over and over again (something he was probably feeling about that time).
Look at the lyrics again:  "New Song," "Had Enough," "905," "The Music
Must Change," "Love is Coming Down"...etc. etc.  It's all the same
theme.

>I don't agree with you on this. I think he leaned a bit more toward
Jazz with WAY, but whether that's actually "development" is the
question.

It's not jazz and it's not rock.  It's mature composition.  He didn't
pick up the jazz sound until Kenney Jones came on board.

> but whether that's actually "development" is the question. Or just a
change in direction, which is how *I* see it. And it was IMHO a
direction not for The Who, since they were the essence of Rock. To me
this is why WAY doesn't quite work...Pete is reaching beyond the ability
of the band. Sure, he always did that...but this time, his reach
exceeded their grasp.

Nope.  Didn't.  Townshend outgrew rock and roll with this album, and the
band did, too.  They nailed it.  Check with some eclectic music fans
instead of the bubblegum crowd.

>I do believe this was a direction better suited for Pete and Entwistle
without the others. Moon was certainly no Jazz drummer and Daltrey is no
Cab Calloway.

Both of them were outstanding.  Moon was perfect, and Roger did a
fantastic job with those weird melody lines.  It was tougher to sing
than Quad, I'll bet.

>> doesn't have the scope Quad does, but the individual songs are easily
comparable.

>That's a tough one, mainly because QUAD is meant to be taken as a whole
(like TOMMY) and the songs work best together. However, IMHO, there are
no songs on WAY which compare to: Sea And Sand, The Punk Meets The
Godfather, I'm One, Is It In My Head, Drowned, and Love Reign O'er
Me...just to name half the album...but do feel that the band should have
come up to the standard they themselves set.

<grin>  Wait 'til it's all put together; then we'll see what Lifehouse
is.  It's going to have a different sound.  This is material for
angst-ridden mature adults, not anglst-ridden teens.  The lyrics on WAY
seem defeatist, and the lowered energy level sounds absolutely
melancholy for The Who.  What's going to be the finale, d'you think?
"Won't Get Fooled Again?"

keets