Bootlegs and Woodstock on DVD

> There's been a big discussion recently on another list about what effect
> bootlegs have on the music industry.

Keets:

They have a positive effect. It gets people more excited about the band,
and if they don't already have everything released (usually the case), they
buy them.

> Seeing those bootlegs selling for
> so much really pisses off the musicians who are getting paid pennies for
> every cd their record company sells

This is, however, their decision. The bootlegged material, especially the
best stuff like other takes of songs, are owned by the artist/label and
could be marketed for less than regular CDs (no production and advertising
costs) via mail and Internet. THAT would end the "problem" forever.
I admit that I have little sympathy for the labels and artists in this
matter. Some claim to "lose money," but since I choose not to open on
Sundays, I cannot tell the IRS that I lost money because I was not open.
Imagine how they would react!
The latest is that the labels intend to offer an encoded bootleg material
over the Internet for about the same cost as a regular CD. They also intend
to market new music in the same way, thereby putting an entire industry of
music retailers out of business. We'll see. I think the "code" will be
quickly broken and they will change their mind as they see they can't make
it work, but alas too late as people begin offering the music for free
download. So everyone loses, due to greed. And BTW, I'll go on record right
now saying that the labels will NOT charge people what they charge
retailers for the CDs (and without supplying the materials, don't forget)
but the $18 per retail price. Watch and see.

> and sometimes they quit the
> business.  I've decided people shouldn't buy bootlegs for more than the
> cost it takes to make them.

The reason they are more expensive is: they're illegal. It's exactly the
same situation as drugs. The seller takes a risk having them available, and
therefore must cover possible legal fees and so on. And even the creator
had to get it, probably incurring some cost beyond what just making the
copy might cost. Plus, the last time I checked, it was OK to make a profit
in the USA.
You have a perfect right not to buy them, but I will continue to do so and
hope for some sanity from the labels.

> Ditto, and can't wait for Monterey Pop (hopefully uncut) and Woodstock
> (likewise) to come out...sooner the better!

Paul:

Actually, Woodstock has been released on DVD. The director's cut version,
which I have on videotape and it's quite good.