Pete's gonna do it !!!!

I got this article off the internet version of the Sunday London Times....

All we have to do is wait now....

Now here's a perfect subject we can all talk about and not have to worry
about it being a rumor anymore !!!!!!!

Later.....

George

                        Townshend writes a new
                                   rock opera

                         by Nicholas Hellen
                         Media Correspondent

 AS LEADER of the Who, Pete Townshend spoke for the
 1960s generation who urged their elders to fade away.
 Now, years after the hits dried up, he hopes to capture the
 spirit of the new millennium with an ambitious rock opera.

 The BBC has commissioned Townshend - who once
 wrote: "Hope I die before I get old" - to create a musical
 from unperformed fragments that he first devised at the
 height of the Who's success.

 His concept embraces computer technology, science
 fiction and eastern mysticism in a visionary future cityscape.

 The musical, provisionally called Lifehouse, will have its
 debut on Radio 3 on December 6, and according to Tom
 Critchley, an associate of Townshend, talks have begun
 with Roger Daltrey and John Entwistle, the surviving
 members of the Who, to stage it as a rock opera.

 Details of the plot are to be discussed at a meeting
 between Townshend and Kate Rowlands, a BBC
 executive, this week. In an early version, he pictures
 people living in virtual reality, manipulated by the owners of
 the mass media.

 His city dwellers spend their lives asleep, absorbing
 experiences through tubes. They are rescued by rock'n'roll
 after an historian stumbles across relics of 20th-century
 music and concludes that it was a religion.

 Townshend began work on Lifehouse in 1969, at the
 height of his powers, intending it to be the greatest
 multi-media rock creation ever. The success of the Who's
 rock opera, Tommy, had raised his reputation from a
 brilliant guitarist with a habit of smashing his instrument to
 that of a serious composer.

 In New York he was acclaimed by Leonard Bernstein,
 and in Amsterdam the Dutch royal family booked seats.
 The world's leading opera houses welcomed the band's
 performance of Tommy, which told the story of a young
 boy who, despite being deaf, dumb and blind, became the
 world's greatest pinball-machine player, using only his
 sense of smell for guidance.

 For Townshend, Tommy's success was disorienting. While
 other bands rushed to imitate it, he struggled to find a
 follow-up. Influenced by the Indian mystic Meher Baba, he
 devised Lifehouse, but it was met with indifference or
 hostility by the other band members, Daltrey, Entwistle and
 the late Keith Moon.

 At one point, Federico Fellini expressed an interest in
 directing a movie version, but his enthusiasm faded and
 Townshend came close to collapse in a New York hotel
 room, where he imagined that his fellow musicians had
 turned into giant frogs. Some of the songs were released
 on a record called Who's Next and Townshend went on to
 create Quadrophenia.

 The Who stopped recording in 1982 and Townshend
 switched to publishing. In the early 1990s he collaborated
 with Ted Hughes, the late poet laureate, to stage a musical
 version of The Iron Man.

 But he never stopped working on the Lifehouse project.
 His chance to revive it came when Radio 3, searching for a
 piece of music that could capture the excitement of the
 21st century for a young audience, turned to him.

 Will the musical talk to a new generation? Dave Marsh,
 author of Before I Get Old, a book about the Who, is
 unsure: "Lifehouse was inspired by the revolutionary milieu
 of the 1960s and was the most interesting thing he ever
 wrote. However, I don't think that anybody apart from
 Pete has a clue what it is about."

The end for now......