See Me Feel Me and prayer

Gern Blanston (I love that screenname) wrote:

> I agree, "See Me Feel Me" has several contexts in the whole piece, but
> at the very end, "Listening to You" is a prayer, and not to himself.

You may realize this, but I did postulate that only at the beginning it was aprayer to
himself.

> (That would be a bit big-headed, wouldn't it? After all you don't pray
> to yourself, you talk to yourself).

Well, my point was that Tommy worshipped the image of himself in themirror.

> Whether you believe in God or not, you can't deny Pete's intention. To
> listen to The Who/Pete without the spiritual context is not the whole
> experience.

I didn't mean to imply that there is anything about Tommy that isn't
spiritual.  But prayer isn't the only spiritual experience, unless spirituality
is limited to connection to some all-powerful force.  I think that connection
is made every day between human beings.  And come to think of it, I
have spiritual ideas rambling around in my head quite often... sometimes
I make the choice to see the world as the spiritual place that it is.  Which,
is really the intent of prayer... to make a choice to lead a spiritual life... to
remind yourself of that focus.  So, I guess I pray to myself quite often!

Some other person wrote:

> >.  I always maintained that for the self-enlightened,
> > change every reference to "God", "Father", "Jesus", etc. to "I",
> "Me",> "My"
> > in the Bible, and it all works and makes sense.<
> >
> Mook wrote:
> Funny. I always read, "Hammer of the Gods" and take every reference made
> to "Led Zeppelin" and change it to "The Who." It works, ain't true, but
> it works.

If you're saying that changing the references to god to I, me, my aren't true,then you
limit the ways God is manifested every day.

> Mook says:
> > Pete alwas said that "See Me Feel Me...Listening to You" was
> > prayer (Just as he said "Love, Reign O'er Me" was).>> Mook

Oh, right!!  (And from my understanding of what Tommy has come to meanto Pete) it could
be a prayer to the throng.  One could say that, after trying
to tell everybody that to acheive enlightenment they should all be like him
(which truly is narcissistic... and all too common in the real world), Tommy
has a new revelation that finally, after all these years of pain and searching,
he is now like everybody else.  He no longer needs to make everybody
deaf, dumb, and blind... he finally can see, hear, and speak... he is now,
finally, able to experience the world outside of himself, a part he had been
missing.

I don't know, really.  That's what's so great about Tommy... there are so
many layers, so many ways to read it.

And that's why neither one of us is wrong.

Long Live Rock!

Howard P. (a/k/a The Seeker)