Re: The Who Mailing List Digest V6 #290

At 16:06 -0800 11/30/1999, The Who Mailing List Digest wrote:
>Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 07:09:38 -0500
>From: "Whooooo!" <whoooo@labyrinth.net>
>Subject: [Fwd: [Fwd: The Lifehouse Commission]]

>Paul's List at igtc (aka, "kiddie-list.").

And yet it's good enough for you to post and participate in.  No need to
get nasty.

>Apparently, if you criticize
>the list or espouse a viewpoint which is unpopular to the list host,
>they censor you. I sent this mail twice and it is mysterously refusing
>to post. Yet, Fang-bashing posts seem to have no problem appearing.

Oh, relax.  I have the same problem occasionally (e.g., "Chicago journal"
which bounced the first time).  In my case, the problem occurs once a month
or so and is due to igtc's upstream nameservers temporarily forgetting that
my domain exists.  I don't know whether that's the problem in your case,
but I do know Paul has neither the time nor the desire to censor the list.

And, as you will no doubt have noticed, your post plus addenda did finally
appear.

>    One of the biggest complaints about this list is that members discuss only
>academic things,

OTOH, that would be one of my biggest commendations of this list...that
substantial, thoughtful and even, yes, windy discussions on academic topics
can occur.

>often lack "inside" band information, and post questions that
>often go unanswered. Scott's list at thewho.net is not like this precisely
>because of people like Fang and the other "heavy hitters" on the list.  If you
>ask a question on Scott's list, you get an answer that is either factual or a
>damn-good educated guess. You get reviews of who shows, new releases, and
>bootlegs that are simply excellant.
>
>    I say: sign up at the who.net and compare the quality of the
>discourse. You
>may still dislike Fang if you do,  but you will not question the value of his
>presence as a contributing list member.  Nor will you doubt his status as
>one of
>our bretheren.

You may or may not be aware (and some new readers are clearly not) that
Weiner is also violently allergic to anything that smacks of regulation
(or, as he would put it, "censorship") and led a highly-publicized walkout
from this list merely because of the institution of formal rules like "stay
on topic, no personal attacks" (which, BTW, is the answer to andrew
weichman's question, "Why hasnt soemone done something about this jerk?" --
they have) to form what became Odds&Sods. As a result, O&S generally does
offer more complete Who information that igtc. On the other hand, this list
is notably free from the incessant personal attacks present on O&S and, as
I said, is more likely to break out in intellectual discussions.  I agree,
subscribing to both lists and making your own judgement is a good idea, but
O&S isn't the unalloyed superior option that your encomium would have it.

>Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 18:42:10 -0000
>From: "Martin Bailey" <mobailey@cwcom.net>
>Subject: Re: Who's Next Video + CD Package
>
>To me, it seems a bit pointless trying to sell the CD and video together:
>surely only true fans of the CD would want to buy a video about the making
>of it?

Right...anyone who gives a monkey's about the creation of Who's Next will
already have the CD (or LP).

>But now I'm wondering, will this box set have any
>collectors value in a few years time?

Depends on how you define "few". I'd bet it will be literally decades
before a sealed set will be worth significantly more unless this is a
strictly limited edition, which it doesn't sound like.

>> To paraphrase an old Paula Poundstone monologue:  "Martin Bailey, you are
>> the best person on this list." :-)  Thanks for posting this!
>
>Alan, I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, but thanks.

Paula Poundstone is/was one of my favorite comedians (now unfortunately
fairly inactive). She used to do a monologue about an airline pilot
speaking on the headphones to only the people on one side of the
plane...<whisper> "People on the left side of the plane...you are the best
people on this plane..."  I just meant that your post was excellent in that
it was the first to let me know how I on the US side of the pond can join
in and listen to the broadcast.

Alan
Dell is the one-eyed man in the kingdom of the blind.  Apple sees in 3-D.