Re: Baba Baba who's got the Baba?

> background (not after this note, I guess) is that we MAY be able to have
> the next Whofest right at the Center.

Uh...I misunderstood and need to clear this up. What Virginia was talking
about wasn't anyone actually staying there, but just having an entire day
there where they entertain us by playing music (Who music) and showing us
films and talking to us about Pete and his interaction with them. My
mistake! But this is just as good, IMHO.

> I do think that to fully explore the Baba Center and really enjoy it
> you probably need at least two or more days in which to do so.

Derick:

I agree, completely. I KNOW there is.

> became popular I guess around the early 80's but this was filmed in 1976
!
> It blew me away ! Someday, somehow I just have to get back

In the meantime, the website where you may be able to purchase the video
(and others, but I haven't had time to check it out yet) is
SheriarBks@aol.com if you want to check it out.

>    Too cool. What exactly is the Lantern Cabin?

Stoo:

It's the cabin Pete stays in while here, or at least has stayed in for some
visits, and was inspired to write a song about which is on the reissued CD
of WHO CAME FIRST. I should say there is a definite sort of aura about the
cabin, and the entire Center. Which has nothing to do with Pete Townshend
but according to him he also felt.

> Could you provide us with any other details?

It was during a celebration of Baba "leaving his body," and it was in
someone's front yard. As for Pavadigar, the music was recorded live in
Baba's tomb. Brian had other interesting details in his post.

> I'd love to know more
> about it. What a bonus - was this the "surprise" of the fest?
> If not, what was the planned "surprise"?

OK, the idea of surprises was twofold. I knew of one, which didn't happen.
It had to do with a musician/arranger who has worked with both Pete and The
Who, and was just recently working with him on a project which it seems
Lifehouse interrupted. Unfortunately, he was in California last week. I may
get to meet him; Virginia would like me to, it appears.
The other part was my foresight. I knew that if we went to the Baba Center
there would be surprises. How they would manifest themselves I had no clue
about, but things just seem to work that way when you're dealing with Baba
(Virginia would be the first to tell you this). As it was, she was showing
us around and we came to the meeting hall. I saw a painting of Baba through
the door (which was painted by a blind artist, but forgive me because I
cannot recall his name) and since my daughter is an artist I was curious.
Virginia suggested we go inside for a closer look. Jeff came in a few
moments later, and she introduced us, and he began talking about Pete and
his visits and singing his songs. Then he asked if we'd seen the videos,
and the next thing you know instead of going home (as he had planned to do
after working all day in the heat) he took us to the library and set it all
up. It was there we saw With Love (Derick found it).
So you see, that's how the surprises came into play. I was specifically
talking about meeting the musician and being able to talk to someone who
knew Pete personally (Virginia). I felt that this much, at least, would be
pretty cool. And fortunately, it became a whole lot more...but I figured it
would. I'm pleased my instincts were correct.

>    Sounds like you all had a very unique experience and I
> wish I could have been there to share it. Three cheers for
> Virginia!

I can only second that! Maybe next time?

> with Toyota, though why isn't clear).  There's a Who track, Summertime
> Blues, from the Philadephia Spectrum, December 7, 1974.  I don't have the
> boxed set or that set's companion video of live Who footage--has this
song,
> or any other from that show, been commercially available before?

Rich:

I believe that's a track from the "Largo Md." QUAD show originally on King
Biscuit. You know, the one they were supposed to release last year...