Baba explored

> >"Out here in the fields/I work for my meals/I get my back into my living..."
> Actually, the opening lines uses "fight for my meals".

Greg:

I know there's been some controversy about this line, which is why later
in the note I say: even if the line is '..fought for my meals.' Fight,
fought...no difference. It just doesn't work as well as "work" for the
next line, since to get one's back into fighting means (I suppose) bare
knuckles.

> However, this being the case or not, I think you are taking highly
> abstracted and literal meaning to the original "artistic images" of the words.

Not at all. In the note I also pointed out the music was not the literal
action, as with TOMMY & QUAD, but instead an added dimension.

> As far as Pete's Lifehouse project, it is my humble opinion that his recent
> theatrical work has allowed to get the practical experience of learning how
> to convey the heruclean task of getting all the Lifehouse material out of
> his head and into *any* kind of creative outlet.

Let's hope not. TOMMY on Broadway was bad enough, and then there's Rog
with the orchestra and Pete with a drum machine...how much humiliation
must we endure? I remember when The Who were THE Rock band..."Rock"
being the operative word.

> Maybe the "Teenage Wasteland" was a reference to all the kids drinking and doing the drugs.  "They're all wasted" is really the only the lines I'm basing this on.

Carl:

I don't think so...I think it's more general, as they are wasting their
lives. In the Lifehouse story, they were all hooked into a sort of
virtual reality machine to get their experiences, instead of living
them. Definitely a waste, no?

> Also, I've heard that Bargain is Pete's love song to Baba...any truth to that?

Very possible, but it works better for me as about male/female
relationships. However, "Naked stoned and sad" is maybe better in the
spiritual sense than the literal.

> I think the song is about getting up and moving on with your life.

Ty:

Again, considering the story you're probably right. The hero, Bobby,
literally saves a group of people from the sterile virtual life they're
"living"...in the end, they ascend to a higher plane of existance
(except for Bobby, who gets shot). I'd certainly call that "getting up
and moving on."

> Sally, take my hand
> We'll travel south crossland.
> Put out the fire.
> Don't look past my shoulder.

>From what I have read and heard about Lifehouse (and it's been none too
clear at best), there is a nomadic group of people (Going Mobile) whose
actions it can be considered are being described here. They are outside
the "system," and most likely Bobby is one of them. Much like the
so-called "Rainbow" people in today's US society, but not as fringe I
hope.
That's two aspects of the present Pete Townshend forsaw fairly
accurately 27 years ago. Interesting, isn't it?

> The exodus is here
> The happy ones are near.
> Let's get together
> Before we get much older.

Defintely the "Let's get together" line refers to what will happen in
the end; the music enables them to ascend together. Perhaps the "Exodus"
is to the Young Vic theatre, where The Who will allow them to escape
their dismal and empty lives.

--

    "He's more like Burger King than Martin Luther King."
                            Colt Fortifeinburg on Al Sharpton

                      Cheers                ML