Re: oh well...

At 19:53 -0800 11/11/1998, The Who Mailing List Digest wrote:
>Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 23:35:20 -0500
>From: Brian <bmcgow01@wild.vill.edu>
>
>We decided that the line drawn between art and
>entertainment is simply that art has an aestetic goal.  Sit-coms,
>flowers and sunsets may move you, but they are not art.  Poetry, the
>good stuff at least, has an aestetic goal, hence it is art.  We were
>unable to find the aestetic goal of rock,

It's "(a)esthetic".  I find it interesting that you put in the optional "a"
-- a sign of (over?)education -- but leave out the mandatory "h", a sign of
ignorance.  Since you spelled it that way three times you probably
pronounce it without the "h", too; I just hope for your sake you don't do
it in front of a classroomful of students who know better.  I know you've
disclaimed any responsibility for or interest in correct spelling (a
privilege you earned via your PhD as I recall) but for someone who is so
deeply interested in art and verbal communication I find your cavalier
attitude curious to say the least.  I notice that you manage to get
"Dickinson" right every time, so it can't be that you're dyslexic.  I
wonder how you spell "*".

Flowers (wild ones, at least) and sunsets are not art because they are not
human endeavors.  Sit-coms, as part of the greater class of theatre or
dramatic or comedic presentations, are art -- whether good or bad art being
a point for debate in individual cases.

ObWho:  Speaking of Pete's influences, listen to the Face Dances reissue:
can you spot the musical quotes from "Little Wing" and "Sloop John B"?
Anyone?

Alan
Be sure to read _McKendree: A Burning Novel of Murder and Revenge_
by Douglas Hirt, ISBN 0-8439-4184-7  (available at www.amazon.com)