Re: "Import" Review

On 05/16/98 14:52:43 you wrote:

>As promised, here's my take on the latest Who "import" release: Who
>Remembers The High Numbers.
>About half of the material has already been released on ("import") LP as
>Dance To Keep From Crying. DTKFC was offspeed, but that has been
>corrected here. The material is said to be from the Marquee Club in the
>Fall of 1964...but this has been debated, so perhaps Bruce can give us
>some insight there. Bruce? Care to give us the latest on it?
>I suppose the best comparison would be to the Beatles' Star Club tapes,
>although this sounds a BIT better and is all Blues/RnB.

I don't have a definative answer, merely an educated guess but I would say
the Scene Club, London 9/2/64.  It has to be after You Really Got Me was released
and before their booking at the Marquee later in the year.  By then they had
adopted more of a Tamla/Motown sound instead of the hardcore R&B here.  All MHO
of course.

Speaking of the Star Club tapes a court ruled recently that they are indeed
illegal and ordered all releases to cease.  The problem is these tapes were
released 20 YEARS ago, legally! :)  Too little too late.

Bruce

PS - Mark the Storyteller show was great, got to meet him too.