The Who Mailing List Digest V5 #71

ML,

>> Believe it or not, I'm not excited by a PEPPER box.

I am, because I've got some of what would be on it. Although unlike you,
I'm hoping it won't be like the PET SOUNDS set. I'd love to have the
stereo mix of PS, but I've got the mono version and the rest is a
one-or-two time listen for me at best.<

Wish Capitol would release the stereo mix as a single disc
(of course, then no one would buy the box, would they? <g>)
Actually, it'd be neat if a PEPPER box contained the mono
mix, which George Harrison claims is the better of the two.
I have it, but only on a *very* scratchy LP.

>Your best bet is Artifacts I & II...two five-disc sets which anthologize
the Yellow Dog boots. Released prior to the ANTHOLOGY sets, they still
contain a good 9 discs of unreleased material. Someone should do to the
same for The Who.<

I agree re The Who.  As for ARTIFACTS, I'm too poor to afford
two 5 CD boots (just trying to scratch up enough for TAFKAP's
latest set!), but I'll keep it in mind if I ever win the lottery.

[Re:  songs which are currently unavailable on CD]

>Anyway Anyhow Anywhere (alt. vocal)
Substitute (US single version)
Dr. Jekyll And Mr. Hyde
Baby, Don't You Do It (live B side version)
Shout And Shimmy
Anytime You Want Me
Lubie (Come Back Home)
I'm A Boy (MBBB version)<

Whoa!  Don't you mean the WHO'S MISSING version?

>Here For More
When I Was A Boy
Bald Headed Woman
I'm A Man (on the British MG album)<

I'd hope that if/when MG is released, that they'll use
the British version...altho you never know w/MCA....

>Dogs Part Two<

What a silly song. <g>  Just a comment, MHO.

>Circles (2nd version)<

You mean the one that was on the EP, or the
one on THE WHO SING MG?  I think of the
latter as "Instant Party"; makes life simpler.
I also prefer Talmy's version.

>Heat Wave (original version)
Going Down (live)
Motoring
Wasp Man
Won't Get Fooled Again (single version)
Who Are You (single version)<

As far as the single versions of WGFA and WAY
go, this is something I could live without.  I consider
WGFA an abortion of the full track, but I suppose
from a collector's POV, it'd be worth having.

>Won't Get Fooled Again (NYC sessions)
Getting In Tune (NYC sessions)
Shaking All Over (complete version w/Spoonful from LAL)<

These have been officially released?  I must've
missed that...where & when?  Or are they from boots?
I never knew that "Shakin' All Over" wasn't the full song.
Boy, am I out of it. <bg>

Oh, and for the record, I think "We Close Tonight" is
genuine Townshend.  It just sounds like his style to
me more than Entwistle's...but then why did John sing
it?  To get a solo, I suppose.

--Carolyn
"It's the singer not the song, that makes the music roll along"