Re: We Close Tonight

>      We Close Tonight is interesting.  I am wondering though, is this the song
> that Pete once said John had written for Quadrophenia which "summed it all up,
> but he won't play it for me?"

Mike:

According to the liner notes, Townshend wrote it. So who knows? The
lyrics fit into the story, although not very well. It wouldn't have
worked IMHO, because (like Four Faces) it would have been taking sort of
a "left turn" from the story's flow. My thinking was this song was Pete
giving John a chance for a lead vocal in QUAD, scrapped when they saw
how out-of-place it would have been in relation to the other songs. This
is, of course, only true if the songwriting credit is correct.
In any case, I doubt this is the song you refer to because if John
wouldn't play it for Pete how could the band have recorded it in 1973?

--

            Cheers                ML

    	 "DUDE!!!!!"
             Almost everyone