Re: Boots

> I've never seen a record collection containing 'my' boots that didn't include
> all the studio albums too. No evidence whatever of official product losing out
> to bootbuys...

John:

I must say I think you've got a damned realistic and fan-oriented
attitude, and I applaude you for it. I hope the majority of Rock
musicians feel the same way.

> All the best artists condone/tacitly-condone boots anyway. A spectrum,
> strectching  right down to the extreme GD solution - provision of soundboard
> sockets.

I have no idea how much influence an artist can have over their label
(and it probably varies)...I've heard horror stories, and it seems you
had some less than pleasant experiences yourself, but I do believe
(hope) it's possible for the artist to "nudge" the label execs into
releasing the boot material as a budget line via mail or Internet, with
sound quality disclaimers if needed. This would certainly solve their
"problem" and almost eradicate bootlegs.

> The company who could've had it in the shops in Autumn 1966.
>
> Or 1967 - 68, 69.
>
> 1970, 75,
>
> 1976 perhaps - A 10th Anniversary Album ! - 81, 86, 88, 92, etc.
>
> Companies who leave artefacts of this value lying ignored for 30 years deserve
> a financial result to match their cultural bankrupcty.

Obviously, you have strong feelings about this one. I share your disdain
over those who would decide what we should hear, and wish the artists
were the ones to decide these things.

> I mean, is "leaving here" the same than in the "30 years of M R&B"?

Vincent:

No, it's a (IMHO) superior version from an acetate made in late 1964, as
is Baby Don't You Do It. Unless, of course, the liner notes are wrong
about that too.

> the middle to the end -- it' the MONKEYS, man, sorry.

Sean:

Just curious...do you mean The Monkees? Or do you mean the band sounds
like a bunch of monkeys?

> All the songs are previously unreleased, except Under My Thumb

I meant to mention this yesterday...I don't understand why they remixed
this one to exclude the electric guitar...but they did. The bass isn't
as upfront, either...in the original mix, it takes the vibes' part.

--

            Cheers                ML

                                   Meher Baba