Pete Townshend's writing

  "Mark R. Leaman" <mleaman@sccoast.net> wrote:
>I have long maintained that Townshend is an unusual sort of songwriter,
>or writer in general, because he diesn't do some of the typical things
>one would expect (or are taught to do). For instance, few of his
>songs/stories come to a definite conclusion.

IMHO.....
Pete's open-endedness is a result of his inability to make a decision.  Now,
don't get me wrong...it's not that he never made/makes decisions it's that he
sees many angles, for example he expresses contradictions within songs like "I
feel hot and cold", "Nothing is Everything, Everything is Nothing is", "the
simple things you see are all complicated", "Let me be stormy, let me be
calm".  I relate to Pete's writings because I think it shows his humanness,
his confusion, his weakness.  Most of us know how Pete has contradicted
himself over the years but I dont think it's a result of his "habitually
lying" it's a result of his indecision.  or his genius.... Pete feels
different at different times...when talking to an interviewer philosophizing
about his life, intentions and audience he's in the driver seat, but he has to
be more direct, he is more on the spot in those situations... his insecurities
and weaknesses are more evident in his lyrics and personal life.

<snip>
>During this private discussion it occurred to me the possible reason for
>this non-conclusiveness on Townshend's part may stem from an inability
>not to deal with the fact that his life will end. Anyone else have any
>thoughts about this, or other explanation(s)?

I think Pete, being the genius that he is, leaves open doors for the audience
to surmise meaning for themselves.  Then of course he denies any hidden
meaning in the things he's saying.... :)  He has often said in interviews
things to that effect.  He said,and I'm paraphrasing... I'm A Boy is just a
fun song, doesn't mean anything. I can understand that Pete might not be able
to deal with the fact that his life will end... not exactly my favorite
thought.

>Another atypical property of Pete's writing is he doesn't try to balance
>the story (in many ways, including cause and effect being equal or
>including as many good as bad factors...or even making his main
>characters particularly sympathetic or easy to identify with), which in
>the end makes it more like real life, IMHO.>>

True! Life is not fair! What blows me away is that after all these years The
same old song will mean something different to me *because* of the imbalance
and contradictions that exisit.  In thinking about the fact that his main
characters are not easy to identify with I'd have to say...I never thought
about that, but you are absolutely correct.  Deaf, Dumb and Blind is a
stretch...and The Mod scene, being American,  has only become clear to me
now...after 17 years!  Though I do think we can all relate to the underlying
emotions of both Tommy and Jimmy.
Ok... Don't Worry Be Happy :)
"I got it all here in my head...There's nothing more needs to be said..."