"Amsterdam Journey" on Adorable (9/29/69)

I'm not always able to keep up with my Who digests, so if I'm repeating
comments made by others, please skip ahead to the next fascinating
message.

A new version of the 1969 Amsterdam "Tommy" concert has shown up on
Adorable.  Fans of raw, early Tommies will love this set, goof-ups and
all.  The performance is energetic and stirring, although not at the
same level of perfection as the Leeds show.

After two fairly casual playings of this double-disc set (no headphones,
no note-taking), it appears that the majority of it is from the same
source tape as the earlier "Live in Amsterdam" two-CD set by Swingin'
Pig Records.  The Swingin' Pig recording seems a bit cleaner and well
balanced, with less hiss.  However, the Adorable set includes "A Quick
One" and the long "My Generation/Tommy Reprise" jam, which Swingin' Pig
lacks.  (The "My Generation" jam can also be found on the "Exciting:
The Who" CD.)

In addition, the Adorable set apparently has a bonus motor vehicle, or
"Truck."  The first two songs, "Heaven and Hell" and "Can't Explain,"
both sound very familiar to me, but I haven't been able to place the
source yet.  (Attention, Luke "I Can Hear for Miles" Pacholski--I need
your ears!)  "Too Much of Anything," "Getting in Tune," "Bargain," and
"Water" are all from the "Lifehouse" sessions recorded at the Young Vic
in April, 1971.  (I have this material on the "Lifehouse Live" disc.)

If you don't already have a good recording of this concert, you will
want these CDs.  If you're a completist, you may want them for the
additional original concert material.  I'd recommend the purchase even
more strongly if these "imported" discs weren't so darned expensive.

--Cheryl